Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caring for Terminally ill friend

Re: Caring for Terminally ill friend

im new here but having just read your storey i felt i wanted to give you a hug im having a tough time at the moment but still nothing compared to this, as others have already said stay strong and look after yourself too and dont beat yourself up, so you had a drink??? sounds to me like you needed it, i wish i could drink but i think after 1 sip id be on my back after 21 years of not having one
    im so sorry, this is so sad, love linda xxxx

Thinking of you and hope you are remembering to take care of yourself x

Oh Paula, you've had so much to cope with. I know that being a nurse you have the skills to help practically, but I guess when you were at work you could maintain that "professional face" as your patients would not have been friends. This situation is heart-breaking; you want to help, but it tears you up inside. Don't forget, you're still grieving yourself, please try to only take on what you can deal with - you can only grit your teeth and cope for so long before it all gets too much.

Keep venting on here so we can try to help, and make sure you look after yourself. There are other people who can help your friend, I have experience of the McMillan nurses and they are a great help to all involved.

Please take care and don't do too much, not easy I know but please try to say no if it gets too much and talk it out if you start to get too stressed.

Take Care.x

Sweetie Paula, we are here for you every step of the way.

I have had to face lots of nasty grief and stuff you never imagine will happen to you.
    I have also suffered anxiety etc for a very long time and when the going gets tough you find a way of doing what is right.

You are not alone, we are here for you any time. Only do what you can do and you will look back one day with fond memories that I can promisexxxx

Paula thinking of you all and sending lots of to try and help you all .

I nursed my brother and whilst I would not have had it any other way it was so draining emotionally. I did give myself timeout and this helped to keep me going .
    Do try and take some time for yourself Paula ,I will be checking on the forum to see how you are coping and sending you words of comfort xxxxxx

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

It's wonderful you're doing this for your friend Paula. The world would be a much poorer place without people like yourself because the love, compassion and support of a friend is priceless.

All the very best to you and your friend.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi Paula
    I really admire you. It cannot be easy at all for you, however please make sure that you do not become unwell yourself in caring for your friend who is very ill. Please look after yourself too.
    I made myself so poorly in caring for my parents whose needs were very demanding.
    I am so sorry about your friend. What you wrote was heartbreaking.
    I am so glad that she has a friend like you.

paula...you are such a wonderful caring lady...god love you xxxx thinking of you and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need support xxxxxx

Thank you all once again for your support, you are all helping me get through this hand in hand with my panic x

Saw Connie today. Took her up her fav meal (baked Salmon in herbs and lemon, with fresh green beans) and she was thrilled bless her.

She went to Bristol to see a "therapist". He stung her for the best part of £400 for 10 minutes of acupuncture and some liquid tincture of some sorts. I wont go into in now, but she feels its helping so thats the main thing.

She is loosing weight very quickly. Must be 6 stone now. She remains positive and up beat. I spoke to MacMillan (they are just fantastic) and weve ordered a sliding sheet to help change her position in bed. The IDIOT district nurse was still using the "drag lift", which was banned at least 12 years ago when I was nursing!

Its very hard to see my friend like this. Her husband seems to have aged 20 years. She has 6 children (all grown) and the house is busy with people popping in all the while. Its just...I feel like she wants to say something? I dont know really.

Youre posts have helped me yet again, I will do my best for my lovely friend, but as with most of lifes difficulties, its out of my hands. Youve all made me realise this. I will do my best, thats all I can do.

Well, thats it for now. Much love, P xx

Oh Paula, don't know what to say except have a . At least you brought some happiness to her day, which is about the best a friend can do xxx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information