Thread: a positive little thread ......

a positive little thread ......

For those of you who are having a tough time with sertraline side effects, I thought I would post this to maybe help some of you who might be struggling. To cut a long story short I went on seroxat when I was 24 to 34, it was quite hard to come off. I swore I'd never take anti depressants again, however after my dad passed away suddenly in July 2009 of a sudden heart attack my health anxiety hit the roof. I suffered on, but found coping with everyday life increasingly dificult and with a two yearold to deal with things just had to change. I started ssertraline 15 days ago, the side effects were awful to say the least, nausea, very bad indigestion, insomnia, shaking, very tired, weak muscles etc, and i nearly stopped taking them, however the doctor assured me that this would pass. I went out with some friends last night and it was the first time in months that I can actually say that I had a good time, felt relaxed and enjoyed peoples conversation. The side effects are getting better all the time and I only have some slight nausea now. So for those of you who are having a tough time, try and hang in there, it really does get better.. I don't plan to stay on them forever but they have given me the breathing space that i needed and the chance to enjoy spending some quality time playing with my little girl.

Re: a positive little thread ......

Hi Cookie

Great post.

You are quite right, if it settles you for a while until you feel strong in yourself, then medication is definitely worth a consideration.

It is obviously agreeing with you now, glad the night was good.

Quality time with your daughter.... it has to be worth it.

Hope your progress continues well.

Best wishes

I couldn't agree more.

Asking for help and persevering with side effects is the way forward.

Well done and thanks for sharingxx

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better!
    I am trying my hardest to persevere with the side effects but they didn't come on straight away, but about 2 weeks in, I've now had them for the past 3 weeks or so and if anything, they seem to be getting worse and they're not helping either!
    Hopefully one day I'll find something which works for me

I have been on 50mg Sertraline for 5 months now and for the first 12 weeks I thought they were a waste of time!
    Now I feel so much better except for being a little more tired than normal. I am back to eating properly and am now worried I'm going to get fat. Hey-ho
    I am so glad I persisted and really enjoy time with my daughter - my anxiety was really affecting her. My son is doing a degree and I didn't want him worrying either.

They both are relieved to see me improving though not perfect.

Thanks for that post. I was discharged from a psychiatric ward two days ago. I've been on sertraline for a couple of weeks and have been suffering pretty bad nausea for the last few days. I already made the decision to persevere with them as I've been on quite a lot of other drugs over the years and I want to give them a proper chance to work.

Thanks for the encourgment to keep going with them.

It's nice to hear the good stories about peoples experiences with different drugs. I hope you continue to improve.

Best Wishes.

Hazel. x

I had quite bad nausea in the beginning, but this has been improving daily, barely notice it now, also a bit of indigestion. Good luck with them Hazel, hope they work for you too.

I'm on day 6 of Sertraline (50mg) and the side effects are the same as your first post, so thank you for the reassurances, its certainly much needed

Thread Information