Thread: OCD Recovery: coming off Citalopram and controlling reoccurring symptoms

OCD Recovery: coming off Citalopram and controlling reoccurring symptoms

Hi all, Bluecat here - long time no type!

Don't expect anyone will remember me, it's been a while...I was diagnosed with OCD about 2 years ago now and have had CBT coupled with Citalopram which was reasonably successful.

Due to putting on 2 stone in weight, and feeling generally better, I decided to come of the Citalopram about 6 months ago. I have reduced the tablets bit by bit and finally stopped them just before Xmas 2010.

So far so good...or so I thought! I had hoped by some miracle the weight would start to fall off as (finally) my appetite has vanished (the Citalopram made me permanently hungry) and I was exercising. But no, 2lb in 4 weeks so far...boo

And my moods are up and down like a rollercoaster - everything irritates me, I'm fed up cos I'm fat, I burst into tears randomly, I'm grumpy, and my IBS is rampant...does anyone know if these are still side effects of the withdrawal of Cit? Or am I relapsing?

My checking is still under control but I catch myself checking behind in shops etc in case I've dropped something...the sort of stuff I'd do when ill before...

Advice, reassurance, virtual cuddles, help - anything appreciated please guys - you were all so good to me before and I think it's time again. My hubby is good but he doesn't really "get" the whole thing - although he does try.

Cheers for reading, sorry I've waffled xxx

Re: OCD Recovery: coming off Citalopram and controlling reoccurring symptoms

HI there,

I have also been diagnosed with OCD, some people can deal with their symptoms and give into the little rituals that don't bother their day too much.

But when you have OCD you have OCD It's not fair I certainly know this.

I choose to stay on medication because .. well look at it this way, if you had schizophrenia or manic depression, you wouldn't really come off your meds.

BUT if you feel you can live with your little ways and they DON'T interfere with your day to day activities then stay off if it makes you happier.

Now the symptoms you are feeling are usually withdrawal effects, I too was hot, quick tempered and very teary. I took a half a tablet when I felt like this and continued until I no longer got those symptoms. (a half every 4 days or so it was)

All the best matey

Thread Information