Thread: Help i wanmt to stop my Citalopram

Help i wanmt to stop my Citalopram

Hi my name is Lilyanna, and im new to this site for some time now ive been wanting to stop my medication, i have been on citalopram for about 6 years now starting on 20mg and now on 10 mg for about a year, im also going through the menopause so this does not help i know but i want to have my brain back sometimes i feel like im going mad with forgetting things, maybe its the medication i dont know, i have an appointment next week to discuss this with my gp, im so scared of panics returning like they was, i still have them, and certain places i will not go on my own, but they are not as bad as they use to be, i have read a lot of self help books, claire weeks is one of them fantastic book it was my bible, and i will not go anywhere without my bachs spray remedy, has anyone done this after all these years..........

Hi lilyanna

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Re: Help i wanmt to stop my Citalopram

Thankyou Diane x

Hi Lilyanna, Im just going cold turkey from my Citalopram (I wouldnt advise it) but if you'd like to be in touch we could swap notes on how each other is feeling? ive been on Citalopram for 12 months (40mg) and have been without for 3 weeks.
    hope youre doing ok (i LOVE bach's rescue rememdy Lol)
    xxx

Hi,

The best way to come off citalopram is very slowly then you will have minimum withdrawal effects....this may take time and mean you are on in alot longer than you wanted to but believe me it is much better this way in the long run!

Have a chat to your GP but be aware that sometimes gp's do not realise the withdrawal effects and take that on board when you come up with a withdrawal plan.

Good luck to you and hope it goes smoothly.

Jo.xx

Thankyou Jo, i so want to do it, and its the time i have been on them that scares me, but im going to try roll on next week, xx

Hi Lilyanna

Just to let you know it is possible to come off citalopram after a long time. I was on it for 7 years. To be honest it wasn't bad coming off it. Just do it very slowly and with the knowledge of your GP. If you are like me you will have very few side effects. I did it over many months and cut down slowly and split my tablets.

However I must be honest and say I am back on it now. I was off it for 8 months and felt fine but then I let my anxiety get the better of me and I went down hill fast but this was because I let a medical problem (unrelated to anxiety) get out of perspective.

I felt very disappointed with myself for having to go back on them and had mixed feelings about taking medication for such a long time. Some GPs really don't like you taking it for a long time but as my GP told me if you were a diabetic you would take insulin without thinking so what is the difference with taking an AD that you need. I have now come to accept that it keeps my anxiety much more level but in no way is it the solution that GPs often prescribe it to be.

Good luck to you and I hope you are successful in stopping it just do it slowly.

Megan

Hi and welcome to NMP
    Paige x

Thread Information