Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turned down for dla :(

turned down for dla :(

hi folks i have been away from work now with bad anxiety for 7 months now the longest i have ever been off had some very bad anxiety within that period so start of this month i decided to claim dla as i have had anxiety for 12 years now perhaps longer its only ever been kept at bay at times because of meds as you can all imagine.anyway i filled out the application myself online stating how bad i get as i am sure you can all imagine again im sure i dont need to describe this.i also put that i suffer from a stammer which i have had from a very early age which at times is so bad i can barely string a sentence together.anyway i got my reply today from dwp saying i had not been awarded anything mobility or care nothing i wasnt too bothered about the mobility but i was about the care it basically said,i dont need reassurance with my condition,i dont need to be motivated to do things basically making out there is nothing up with me and a "pull yourself together attitude" this has really pi**ed me off.now on the form it asked me to provide 2 contacts about my condition so i put my gp who has been great and very supportive for 7 months and also my cbt therapist who i have seen for about 5 sessions now.i rang back today to see why it had been turned down and also asked who had been contacted about my claim the lady on the phone told me all i can tell you is that your gp was not contacted about your claim and that it did not show who was contacted so the person left is my cbt therapist.now i dont know if it was him and if it was what has he possibly told them that has gone against me

some advice please

thankyou

wiggly

Re: turned down for dla :(

Hi, Yes, that must be annoying which benefit are you on presently and how bad does one have to be to qualify for DLA anyway??

hi lucy

im not on any benefits at the moment just a little bit of housing benefit not much at all i have been getting full pay from work for 27 weeks but i go down to half pay next week i only work part time 27 hours a week.they really did make it sound like there is naff all up with me

Things are getting tougher and you will find that if you can do basic things like get up, wash, get dressed, cook yourself some food etc then you will not be eiligible.

They are clamping down massively now.

I am able to work part-time but not full time due to health problems but I doubt I will get any benefits at all.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

No you won't - I am having a nightmare and don't honestly think I will get anything ever.

I have written to MP's and all sorts but still not getting me anywherexx

is it worth appealing or not dont feel very optimistic after reading comments.could it be the fact that i said i could walk and get dressed do you think im a bit curious as to what my cbt therapist said as he was one of two people who i named on the claim form

Apparently, the success rate for appeal is low - usually improved if you appear or have an advocate appeal on your behalf.

They are trying to restrict the eligibility for these benefits in the current climate and I think that unfortunately far too many people who are not ill are using the system to their benefit by claiming mental health problems that they do not have - this means that those who genuinely need it are now being refused also.

For me personally, working was a good way to help me overcome my problems although I know it does not work for all.

Good luck

Hi Wiggly, sorry but I've read the criteria for getting DLA and I think very few people with anxiety - if any - stand much of a chance of getting it, I'm afraid - and given how strict the criteria are, I doubt it's got anything to do with what your CBT therapist may or may not have said x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

I have to agree with whats already been said - its very difficult to get now. Maybe turn it into a positive - yes, they have turned you down but that's obviosuly because they think you're not too bad, maybe they're wrong but perhaps that can give you a bit of hope for a good recovery? As has already been said work can be a huge help, I know my mum was scared to go back to work after about fifteen years of unemployment due to mental illness, and she discovered she loved it - gave her something to do that wasnt in the house! I know it doesn't work for everyone but...

Hope you feel better soon
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Sorry to hear about your claim, I currently get DLA for OCD but considering I have to have someone to help me dress...

They can be really quite hard to get anywhere with and I found making an appointment to see the MP was much better that writing a letter. Most, if not all, MP's offer a booking system and give you 15 or so minutes to chat with them, well worth doing if you can.

If you need any advice let me know, happy to try and help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information