Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oh no! dentist at 12.25

oh no! dentist at 12.25

my gum (just one small section) started swelling yesterday and now it is very sore red and swollen so i have booked an emergency dentist appointment.

fine but i am absolutely bricking it, firstly i am terrified on the dentist because of my phobia of a latex allergy and then secondly what if i have an abcess!!

i'm at work winding myself up and i am terrified and know i am going to freak out or something terrible is going to happen.

Re: oh no! dentist at 12.25

Nope, nothing awful is going to happen and you will be back on here later telling us how it went.

If you were allergic to Latex you would know by now and also if it is an abcess, you will be started on treatment for it.

I can't remember if you have a fear of taking meds but have been so impressed by your posts on getting out and about and going for meals no less..just look on this as another challenge that you weren't expecting.

You will do just great, looking forward to hearing how you felt the fear and did it anyway!

Hi Amber, Ladybird's right: you have been so brave about other things - you can do this too!

It's really no big deal if you have an abcess - they'll just give you antibiotics to clear it up which is only a problem if you have bother taking ABs? xxx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thanks so much Lady x x

Think it'd made worse by the fact it's lady time so I am feeling hormonal to the maximum and feel like I am going to go in there and burst into tears!

I just don't know why the latex thing doesn't stick in my head, it's such common sense... come on woman, be rational!!

I am a bit/lot iffy with meds but thank you so much about my other posts. I did eat some spaghetti on toast yesterday (sounds so silly but haven't eaten it for over a year!) so i know i can still keep on going and challenging myself....

You're right this is another challenge. Time for a quick cuppa and to get myself together!!! But just the thought is making my tense my throat in anticipation! Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneC View Post
    Hi Amber, Ladybird's right: you have been so brave about other things - you can do this too!

It's really no big deal if you have an abcess - they'll just give you antibiotics to clear it up which is only a problem if you have bother taking ABs? xxx

Hi Jane thank you x x x

I'm a little funny about anti-bs but not too bad... i think it's more the latex thing i am worried about, and just mithering in general. It's time to get brave isn't it... sometimes an unexpected challenge can help us!! if he puts those gloves near me then afterwards i will know i am NOT allergic.

Why doesn't that go into my thick head now then!?
    xxx

Lol Amber, good luck, I'm sure you will be fine

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Hi allergyphobia,

I posted the same thing at the weekend. I had really swollen gums and my jaw was really swollen.
    As it was the weekend I rang the emergency Drs and they prescribed antibiotics. Ive been taking them for 4 days now and its all back to normal.
    You will be fine, as others have said, you'll be back on here later telling us ur fine. Do u have an ipod? I wonder if you could listen to some music whilst they are looking in your mouth.
    I'm sure they'll give u antibiotics and if they're ones uve taken before hopefully u'll feel less anxious about taking them.
    Good Luck and let us know how u get on.

Why does your throat feel like it's closing almost in anticipation!? it is SO annoying!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midgey View Post
    Hi allergyphobia,

I posted the same thing at the weekend. I had really swollen gums and my jaw was really swollen.
    As it was the weekend I rang the emergency Drs and they prescribed antibiotics. Ive been taking them for 4 days now and its all back to normal.
    You will be fine, as others have said, you'll be back on here later telling us ur fine. Do u have an ipod? I wonder if you could listen to some music whilst they are looking in your mouth.
    I'm sure they'll give u antibiotics and if they're ones uve taken before hopefully u'll feel less anxious about taking them.
    Good Luck and let us know how u get on.

Oh midgey thanks so much for replying! Just had a look at your post. were you fine with the penicillin?

i do have an ipod, with some relaxation on, i might explain to the dentist i have anxiety and a phobia...

i'll let everyone know how i get on... it's the combination of it all, the latex, the potential abcess, the anti-bs! but i guess we always know the expectation is ALWAYS worse... just a nasty trick of anxiety...

thanks so much for your advice and support xxx

Quote Originally Posted by allergyphobia View Post
    Thanks so much Lady x x

Think it'd made worse by the fact it's lady time so I am feeling hormonal to the maximum and feel like I am going to go in there and burst into tears!

I just don't know why the latex thing doesn't stick in my head, it's such common sense... come on woman, be rational!!

I am a bit/lot iffy with meds but thank you so much about my other posts. I did eat some spaghetti on toast yesterday (sounds so silly but haven't eaten it for over a year!) so i know i can still keep on going and challenging myself....

You're right this is another challenge. Time for a quick cuppa and to get myself together!!! But just the thought is making my tense my throat in anticipation! Argh.

Amber..since when do us panickers get rational? Irrationality is what we do so well!

That throat of your is only tensing because of all that anticipatory anxiety, muscles working overtime. I have had the same thing recently when I go out (I get the occasional PA) and it has developed into this horrible squeezing feeling that makes me cough and then want to throw up. So embarrassing!

But throats don't close up like that. I have got a lot of allergies and it is a totally different kettle of fish (which I am also allergic to!)..it is swelling of the soft tissues.

Your throat is playing up cos you are scared and that's ok..it's just another step on your road to feeling better. You can handle this no problem.

Spaghetti on toast eh? No stopping you now!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information