Thread: Fed up with meds

Fed up with meds

Hi everyone. I'm 36 and have been on 40mg citalopram daily for 6 years. I have suffered with anxiety for 15 years and have been on meds for all this time so don't know how life would be without them!?
    Scared is a word that comes to mind when i think about coming off citalopram but it is constantly running through my mind.
    Having literally no sex drive and impossible to shift weight although I work out 3/4 times a week and have a healthy diet are just 2 reasons why I want to get off the stuff.
    Seeing some of the comments on here about coming off citalopram is scaring the life out of me, but is there anyone on here who was on meds for anxiety for years and has come off completely? I'd really like to hear from you as i'd love to hear something positive to give me motivation :-)

Re: Fed up with meds

Hi Pedro

Can't help with coming off citalopram but I did wean off paroxetine a couple of years ago. I would say go for it but talk to your doctor first and plan the exercise. You've been on them for quite a while so don't expect to come off them quickly. If the withdrawal gets a bit unpleasant be prepared to up the dose again for a little while. Do it slowly and I'm sure you will be fine...but talk to your doctor, after all s/he is writing the script so need to know if you are using the meds or not.

Take care

Thread Information