Thread: Lustral - (sertraline)

Lustral - (sertraline)

Hi,

I decided last weekend to try to come off my medication. I have been taking 50mgs of Lustral for over 10 years now, which was prescribed to me to treat, depression and anxiety. I have been to my GP in the past and he has agreed to me coming off them and told me how to gradually reduce the dose etc. however, each time I've tried in the past I've only managed a week or so then panicked and gone back on the full dose again. I have been scared to try again but so far having reduced the dose to 25mgs a day, have had no ill effects. Over the last 6 months or so, I have been having far worse anxiety and depression symptoms - while taking the 50mgs (particularly on a Monday after having had a few alcoholic drinks over the weekend) that I am wondering if they could possibly be contributing? Has anyone else experienced this? Or could I need to increase the dose (something I'm very reluctant to do)

Also can anyone advise how long I should take to come off the medication being as I have been on them for so long?

Plus - if I do develop any withdrawal symptoms, how long will they last before I am 'normal' again?

I would be extremely grateful for any advise!

Oh - not that it makes any difference - (or maybe it could do?) I'm 47 and have not yet started to go through the dreaded menopause!

Thanks,

xx

Annie

Hi Annie

Your GP sould be advising you on how much your reduction of medication should be.

I think if you have been on the same meds for 10 years and you have cut them down by half, it's too much, i'm not medical but it sounds an awful lot to me, but if you have had no side effects then i guess it's ok.

I would ask your GP before you cut down anymore.

Take care, Regards

Trish

I am also coming off of Lustral 50mgs. I was getting on quite well up to this last 2 weeks. I think I have been trying to come of them too quickly. I was on the 100mgs to start with. then down to the 50mgs which I have had no problem with. I then cut down to half a tablet a day. which wasn't a very good move. Now I am back on 50mgs daily. I am going back to see my GP next week. She has been really good and helped me a lot. I am determined to stop them altogether even if it takes a while. I have been going out quite often to places I haven't been to before, and at times it has been hard, but I have done it.
    I am trying to keep thinking positive. One small step, as they say. I am 57 and I am convinced my anxiety attacks are something to do with the menopause, so I am taking a natural HRT in the hope it stops the awful hot sweats. Perhaps if you went back to your doctor he would be able to help you. Best of luck. Keep in touch, and let me know how you are getting on. Please feel free to PM me any time.

Jenny xxxxxxx

I'm not an expert on women's HRT but why are you not on the prescription HRT Jenny? I only wish that men's hormone treatment was as advanced.

--
    Blue -
    "Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

Hi Bluebottle

I am not taking HRT on prescription because the doctor didn't want to give it to me because of 'ladies problems' I have had in the past, which is a very long story. I have had Endometriosis and finished up have surgery, and he told me HRT can start it up again. Not all doctors agree with this, but I am going by what he told me, so sticking to the natural version.

Jenny xx

Hi.

I was taking Sertraline (Lustral) I am 16 and I was taking them for ocd and started taking them in January and have just come off them, they made me self harm and my ocd got worse and it also cost me my job, they say that it works for 70% of people but then the other 30% I guess just get some of the side effects, so yes I have found that the tablets can make things worse.

Scooby2005.

Thread Information