Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paroxetine (seroxat)

Arrow Paroxetine (seroxat)

Hi im new here and today have taken the big step of seeing my GP about the anxiety ive been suffering for over a year along with some depression, my GP has prescribed me Paroxetine (seroxat) 10mg, one a day.
    Ive been looking this med up on the internet and am not finding a lot of positive reviews on it, ive read that it gives you weight gain, well im already overweight and hate it so i really dont want to gain anymore, also read that if you miss one dose it can have a really bad effect on you and they can give you bad effects when coming coming off of them. I had fluoxetine a few years ago to treat mild drepression and found them to be good, the GP said i could go back on them if i wanted but i explained that it was the anxiety that i mainly wanted treated so she suggested that i take the Paroxetine but im feeling slightly worried about taking them now, has anyone on here taken them or are taking them now?

Re: Paroxetine (seroxat)

I've been on Seroxat twice over a decade ago, when I came down with anxiety and panic attacks. Even though the anxiety and panic was very unpleasant, with hindsight I wish I had never taken the Seroxat. It just made me feel numb and not quite myself, and I believe it only acted to cement the anxiety, as it neither tackled the fear of the fear, neither did it make it go away - but it established it firmly.

I wish there had been some CBT available at the time for me instead that would have informed me properly as to the causes and effects of the anxiety and panic, as well as showing me ways and techniques to actively deal with it. In my case, I'm quite convinced that the Seroxat made my condition worse and prolonged the suffering for years and years. Until I finally discovered CBT on my own accord.

(Oh, and one last thing, if you are a man, Seroxat does have some serious side effects in that you can basically kiss your libido goodbye for the amount of time you are taking it. Very weird and unpleasant as well! )

Quote Originally Posted by European View Post
    I've been on Seroxat twice over a decade ago, when I came down with anxiety and panic attacks. Even though the anxiety and panic was very unpleasant, with hindsight I wish I had never taken the Seroxat. It just made me feel numb and not quite myself, and I believe it only acted to cement the anxiety, as it neither tackled the fear of the fear, neither did it make it go away - but it established it firmly.

I wish there had been some CBT available at the time for me instead that would have informed me properly as to the causes and effects of the anxiety and panic, as well as showing me ways and techniques to actively deal with it. In my case, I'm quite convinced that the Seroxat made my condition worse and prolonged the suffering for years and years. Until I finally discovered CBT on my own accord.

(Oh, and one last thing, if you are a man, Seroxat does have some serious side effects in that you can basically kiss your libido goodbye for the amount of time you are taking it. Very weird and unpleasant as well! )
    Medication affects people differently, I had a good experience with Seroxat. There will be side effects with ANY medication. Most will wear off over time, no drug is perfect but I do agree that therapy such as CBT should always be offered along with any drug therapy.
    Never look outside yourself or around you to define what is "normal", you are not required to fit in with the masses, you are only required to fit in with yourself and know that it is a perfect match. There is a lot of sleepwalking going on, choose to stay awake.

Im currently taking seroxat and I love it. It has a few side effect niggles like night sweats, but I had those on citalopram too. Its helped me out a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Vixxy View Post
    Im currently taking seroxat and I love it. It has a few side effect niggles like night sweats, but I had those on citalopram too. Its helped me out a great deal!
    So pleased to be hearing a few good things about Seroxat, I was really worried about taking this med after reading a few horror stories, to be honest it scared me but have read quite a few positive aswell now, was feeling quite anxious about taking it and have just put them upstairs in my drawer for now until i read up on it a bit more, but i guess there not going to do me any good sat in there are they lol

Quote Originally Posted by paul75 View Post
    Medication affects people differently, I had a good experience with Seroxat. There will be side effects with ANY medication. Most will wear off over time, no drug is perfect but I do agree that therapy such as CBT should always be offered along with any drug therapy.
    I have searched the internet loads for info on CBT and never did find one that really helped in any way, the doctor did mention that if i found that the meds wernt working then therapy would maybe be a option, really hope they dont make me worse, not sure how much more of this i can take

Quote Originally Posted by European View Post

I have searched the internet loads for info on CBT and never did find one that really helped in any way, the doctor did mention that if i found that the meds wernt working then therapy would maybe be a option, really hope they dont make me worse, not sure how much more of this i can take

Hi Foxyroxy

You are not going to know until you try, give them a go and they may just make you feel better! if not, go back to your docs to try something else. Meds suit some and not others. I am now onto to my 4th AD, early days on this latest but appears to be ok so far!

x

Quote Originally Posted by smb25 View Post
    Hi Foxyroxy

You are not going to know until you try, give them a go and they may just make you feel better! if not, go back to your docs to try something else. Meds suit some and not others. I am now onto to my 4th AD, early days on this latest but appears to be ok so far!

x
    I know but was anxious and scared about taking them after reading all the horror stories but have read a lot of good ones too, feeling a little more positive about them now, just don't want to gain any weight (i read that its a side effect) as im overweight already and its an issue for me now but guess ill cross that bridge if or when it happens, thanks for your reply x

Hi again. Im actually taking seroxat and mirtazapine, both can make you gain weight. In fact mirtazapine is an appetite enhancer which is given to people with eating disorders to make them eat.
    At most I have gained about 6lbs from these meds, however I dont think it was due to the meds more my lifestyle at the time.
    My advice would be to just keep an eye on what you eat until you're sure your weight is stable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information