Thread: fear-depression-fear

fear-depression-fear

I'm starting to realise that the reason that I have been depressed for so long (if not forever) is because I am scared of so much, things that other people take for granted.

Travel (especially foreign): being away from home freaks me out, the actual travelling itself is not something that I enjoy- I have urges to open the doors on planes, cars and trains! Going away makes me think of the size and nature of the world and that makes me panicky. But, I would love to travel and, because it feels like it's denied to me, I feel depressed.

Owning a home: this scares me because it's a responsibility and I worry that the stress of buying somewhere would make me panic. I also feel concerned that I won't have as many family around and I'll be home on my own more and that it might not feel like home and I won't settle. It bothers me as well that I might get behind with the bills and it'll be reposessed. But, I need my own space because, at the moment, I'm living with my fiancee in a small room at my gran's house.

Getting married: It concerns me that I'll feel trapped or that my wife will feel trapped and I'll drag her down with my misery. I also worry that if we split up it will be more painful after getting married. What if we fall out of love or get bored with each other? She doesn't get on that brilliantly with my family, what problems will that cause? But, I would love to have a settled home life.

Having kids: There is all the worry about whether they will be healthy and what if something goes wrong? The responsibility of being a father might freak me out. What if I don't bond with the kid? There will be so much pressure to have kids once we're married, how will I cope with that? I do need a minor procedure to become fertile, but I'm terrified of anything medical! Do I really want to create life and bring kids into this world, when I've got such a downer on it myself? But, I would like to have a big family.

Having a good job: I've got a degree, but most of my working life has been spent in factories because I don't really know what I want to do or what I'm qualified to do, because I don't have that much confidence and because I was always worried that the stress/pressure of a high-powered job would make me crumble. But I'm sick of working evenings and weekends in a factory for low pay and doing the same thing week in, week out.

Death: I worry that I won't be able to cope as well as everyone else if one of my loved ones dies and that I'll crack up.

Friends: I would love to have a big group of friends around me, but maybe I tend to reject people or push them away. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of rejection myself.

Living away from home: I live in a small town where there is very little to do and it drives me mad with boredom. I used to live in London and I loved it, but I'm afraid of moving away from home in case I don't make new friends or I feel homesick or I don't settle.

It makes me feel trapped and frustrated that those things seem so much harder (if at all possible) for me than for anybody else. It knocks my confidence that I can't do what 'normal' people do and makes me feel weak and less valid than everybody else. And the really frustrating thing is that I know that they are really easy, that it's just a psychological block that I have!!!

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

hi there! i can relate to some of the things you have posted.aint it so annoying?!you feel as though your scared of everything!but im now starting to think if i dont try these things i will never know and i phrase i seem to be using alot is whats the worst that can happen?? u take care and try and be positive luv mooxXx

In my case I think I start with fear, which prevents me from doing things (frustration=depression), and then because of depression I start expecting the worst all the time, which means that my body tenses up bracing myself for something bad to happen and then because I'm so tense and my fight or flight response is so sensitive I have panic attacks.

I find that if there's music on the radio that I don't like or I go to somewhere that I don't like the look of I get that queasy, depressed feeling in my stomach and my head- like I'm not where I should be and that I don't have control over my surroundings

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

i could have written your post, you know. So much in common. Are you getting any support at all.?

I relate to you.

I have recently found out that I am afraid of being afraid. I hate the feelings of depression and anxiety that my fears bring on.

Mine started w/my fear of flying which has been completely debilitating for me. Now it has turned into anxiety all day, not wanting to leave the house because I feel so depressed because of it all.

I fear the unknown. It can be the littlest thing if I am not sure what's going to happen i'm scared.

I fear giving birth. Mind you I have done it before but am terrified of giving birth come September.

I fear that if my husband gets out of the service and we're stuck in Hawaii because of my flying phobia, we will be homeless...or very very down and out!!

I fear being alone...mostly at night. Sounds like a silly childhood thing I know.

I fear that I won't be able to get over these things and just sorta exist rather than actual living!!

I fear death! I think about it all the time...which may be why I am so afraid to fly...hmm.

Blah, Blah, Blah!!

After reading this it seems I am afraid to live as well!!

As you can see, you're not alone.

Tina

Thread Information