Thread: Help-don't know what to do for the best???

Help-don't know what to do for the best???

Hi all,
    Looking for some words of wisdom from you kind and generous folk.
    Started on Citalopram 20mg 5 weeks ago now, had a really awful time with side effects for the first 2 weeks, they eased off and I began to feel a bit more settled and optimistic for about 10 days, then I had my period and it really knocked me back, started feeling very depressed and anxious again. Period finished now but continuing to feel really anxious and like I cant sit still, or relax, also not sleeping well again. It kinda feels like the side effects are back again, but this doesn't really make any sense does it? do you think I am not tolerating these meds (although I have had them before and they suited me really well) or do you think I need to up my dose. I have a docs appt on Thurs but I'm just feeling really scared and discouraged at the mo so looking for some comforting words. Can anyone relate or advise please??

Re: Help-don't know what to do for the best???

Hormone changes can affect the way these meds work. So can viruses/infections.

It sounds like how I felt on 20mg and a dose increase definitely sorted me out.

The side-effects from an increase were nothing like as bad as they were originally, in my experience, so I'd not be put off by the thought of the change.

Chris x

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
    “You lose your grip and then you slip, Into the masterpiece.” - Leonard Cohen

This is exactly what happened to me too and my doctor increased my dose to 40mg. I felt a little more anxious for a few days but then after about two weeks i felt fine and have continued to feel ok and my sleep is better. However, when i am hormonal, i feel slightly more anxious but nothing as bad as before.

Hi there, i had a really good 1st experience with 20mg citalopram for my anxiety, they worked within 2 weeks. Came off them feeling much better after 2 years but then had to go back on them, however my body would not tolerate them 2nd time. I stuck with them for 12 weeks which was hell... they even gave me depression, which went as soon as i stopped them. I don't know why my body rejected them and the Dr didn't know either. I am now 8 weeks on Sertraline and am feeling alot better. Do give them a little longer, but don't be afraid to go speak to your GP because there is always other meds you can try, only you know if they are working or not!!! hope tommorrow is a better day for you. Take care xx

Hi Family Matters,

Exactly the same happended to me.. started taking 10mg when I suffered a panic bout at Christmas.. upped to 20 mg after a week and went to feel great once the side effects had worn off. Felt like my oldself until the last week of January then I had my period .. bang I was back to feeling anxious and couldn't sleep again. Went back to doctor who's upped me to 40 mg and been on that for a week now. Still feeling a bit anxious but not as bad as I was when I first started on the meds so just given myself more time. I think we are vunerable and concious of how we are feeling anyway and during that time of the month we are that extra sensitive which only heightens our anxiety.. but once the medication has its time to kick in I'm sure we will be ok.

Let us know how your getting on

Helen x

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies I really appreciate your words of wisdom. Just to update, since my last post I have def started to feel better in that I am sleeping better, sweating has reduced and anxiety although still bothersome in the mornings, is improved. I saw my GP who has OK'd an increase to 30 mg. I haven't upped yet tho as I was starting to feel better and wanted a few days of feeling OK before I have to go thru more side effects again. Also I have an appt with HR n my manager this week so need to get thru this I think before I increase. So still muddling along went out to a coffee shop with hubby yesterday n no panics altho did feel a little weird but pleased with how it went, kinda feel almost on the verge of panicking but it doesn't happen. Do you think this sounds like I need to increase? I've been on 20mg for 6 weeks now, have I given it long enough? It's so helpful to hear everyones opinions, thanks x

Thread Information