Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Due a colonoscopy

Due a colonoscopy

I have agoraphobia. I am not house bound but struggle to lead anywhere near a normal life. I panic if I do not feel safe in a certain situation.

Anyway, I do have some medical problems which I won't go into in this post as they are largely irrelevant to this problem. Basically, I had a rectal bleed last week, and was referred to the local hospital for a colonoscopy. As I have limited private cover and the NHS appt was a week away, I went to see a consultant on Saturday at the local private hospital. He examined me and said in the limited look he had on Sat, he couldn't see anything to worry about but that he would like me to have a full colonoscopy as well, and it is booked for this Thursday.

The problem I have, is that the paperwork has arrived today about the investigation, and I am so scared. So scared that I am considering cancelling the whole thing.

The investigations are in a day unit, and it says that a family member can drop me off but has to leave.

It also says that with sedation (that I need) that you can have breathing problems and heart irregularities. This is really freaking me out as I have a heart and lung problem.

I really want the test done otherwise I will always be worrying that there could be cancer higher up in the bowel and I didn't know.....but i am SOOOO scared. I feel ill today, headache, achey dizzy.....not sure how much of this id anxiety.

Has anyone else had a colonoscopy, I'd really love to know ur experiences.

Thank You,

Re: Due a colonoscopy

Hi Michelle. I have had several colonoscopies. Thw worst part was the bowel prep and bland diet. I don't remember anything about the procedure but will give your consultant a good look at your bowel. He/she will also be able to remove any polyps during the procedure. I remember feeling a little faint after the procedure and sleeping for a few hours before leaving the unit. I am asthmatic and I did not have any problems breathing afterwards. The unit will know of your previous heart and lung problems but it might be worth while contacting them and letting them know about that. I hope it goes well for you. EJ.

Hi Michelle

You may want to have a look in this forum...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=72

To address your concerns. A member can come with you to the appointment but will not be allowed into the room whilst you have it done.

You don't have to have the sedation. I only had a tiny amount with mine and they said it was nothing much that would have sedated me and I know this as I was up and coherent not long after the procedure.

The prep day is awful - there is no point lying about that to be honest! It was far worse than the procedure which can hurt and/or feel uncomfortable at times when they pump you full of air.

Good luck anyway

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks to Nicola and Elizabeth Jane for your encouragement.
    I found the links really helpful, and the YouTube link.
    I am quite confused. I saw consultant at private hospital on Sat who used a non flexible sigmoidscope. He couldn't see anything to worry about but said I need a colonoscopy. I then got an appt through from the hospital describing a sigmoidoscopy. I rang the hospital who said im booked for sigmoid but if consultant decides to do colon on the day then he will. I asked about prep and he said I don't need to do prep, they give an enema on arrival at the hospital......all sounds a bit strange?
    I am really dreading it......not so much the procedure or what they may find, but not being with someone I trust like my husband...I'm scared I might "lose it".
    Thank you xx

If you have a sigmoidoscopy then yes they give you an enema on the day. I am surprised they are going to then decide whether to do a full colonoscopy as you would need the entire bowel empty for that - hence the prep day 24 hours before.

I am sure they know what they are doing though.

The doctor's and nurses are really good and the nurse even held my hand throughout the procedure.

It is a bit daunting being alone but they will keep an eye on you,

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Midgey, I have had one before when they checked me from my throat down to the other end , as well as the air drink thing, barium meal, throat camera etc... I didnt have any sedation for the colonoscopy and examination, just had to not eat for the day before, and really it wasnt that bad and was over pretty quickly. It wasnt painful or even uncomfortable, just a bit embaressing.

The main thing was the boredom of sitting in various waiting rooms waiting for each procedure, I was there most of the day, and all the procedures probably took less than an hour and a half in total.

I would say take your favourite book, or Ipod, just so you have plenty to do while waiting ( and get a seat near the radiator, as those gowns dont keep you very warm ! )

Also get yourself a really nice treat for when you get home afterwards, spend the evening with a DVD or nice takeaway, and remind yourself during the day you have that to look forward to.

I'm a bit puzzled about the bowel prep too. I had piccolax to take which has a strong laxative effect. This goes on for most of the day with two or three sachets of the stuff to take. You need to be on or very near the loo all day. I was also starved on the day. I had full sedation and slept for most of the rest of the day after the procedure. It might be an idea to ask whether they will be keeping you for most of the day if they do a colonoscopy?

Well, I'm no further forward.......Still don't know what I'm having, but if it's not a colonoscopy then I'll go away until they book me in for one. With a sigmoid I'll always be wondering if they've missed something !! Thats just the way I am !!
    I'll update u tomorrow

Well, I didn't have it done. I rang the hospital and spoke to the consultant. He said he done a sigmoidoscopy last weekend so no point in doing it again and as I hadn't had bowel prep it's booked in for 14th Feb.
    I was really annoyed as I'd psyched myself up to have it done today. I will have sedation though next time, and he said "while he was up there" he's going to inject my haemorrhoids !!
    SOoooooo.........It's all still to come x

Awwh hugs Michelle. The 14th isn't too long to wait. The hospital messed up though. It will be good to get your piles sorted as well. I hope that the procedure goes well for you. The bowel prep although unpleasant is the worst part. EJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information