View Poll Results: Suffered from bladder/urinary problems?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've had confirmed bladder infections/UTIs

53 31.74%
  • I've had symptoms of an infection, but tests were clear

50 29.94%
  • I have had urinary frequency only

47 28.14%
  • I've had no problems with my waterworks, thanks!

17 10.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suffered from bladder/urinary problems?

Suffered from bladder/urinary problems?

Leading on from another thread, I'm interested to see how strong the link is between anxiety/stress and bladder problems and urinary tract infections in particular.

If you've had any such problems either immediately prior to, or whilst suffering from anxiety, please comment on their nature, e.g. whether it was just urinary frequency and/or involved pain and discomfort.

Also, if you have found a way to resolve the problem, that would be of interest.

Thanks

Eeb x

Re: Suffered from bladder/urinary problems?

Its funny you write about this because I have had alot of bladder infections over the years, I am very prone and it always makes me bleed.

Sometimes in the past I have had bladder spasms, so when I wee it sometimes goes into a trickle (sorry).

But then over time I realised this only happens if I have caffien in my drinks,
    so basically the diet cokes and coffees were making this happen to me just like it increases my anxiety.

Hi all - not quite on track, but bladder related never the less.

One of the first meds my doctor put me on was flupentixol. It gave me urinary retention. I had to sit up on the toilet for between 4 - 6 hours at night with a trickle a time coming out. It was absolute hell and went on for two weeks.

It was actually worse than the anxiety if you can believe that to be possible.

So just to beware that meds can play with your water works too.

Krakers.

I've suffered from urinary tract infection almost constantly since June 06. I've had a course of antibiotics at least once a month since then and had an ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder in September 06 which was completely clear. Urine tests always show protein, bacteria and blood. I find that caffiene, certain alcoholic drinks (especially g&t) and sexual intercourse will quite often cause a flare up. Drinking plenty of water especially just before bed helps.

I don't think it has been made any worse by my health anxiety. My GP assures me that some women are just prone to UTI's and unfortunately I'm one of them. Great!!

I also get urinary symptoms which I now think must be related to anxiety.

Sometimes I get frequency where I have to keep going and other times I get symptoms of urinary retention where I am unable to go for hours.

This can become a vicious circle because the more stressed or anxious I get the more I get the symptoms and the more I get the symptoms the more I worry that I'll need the toilet when I'm out and not be able to go.

Generally reducing levels of anxiety can help and relaxing about the situation. I use hypnosis downloads and CDs. There is a good selection to choose from here.

It is always a good idea to get persistent symptoms checked by a doctor in case there is an infection.

Karen x

I had really bad cystitis a while back which apparently was probably linked to the undiagonsed clamydia i had at the time. never slept around in my life - my ex had though and had not been truthfull with me. you can never be too careful. x

Hi
    Frequency/urgency is well linked with anxiety, one of the reasons for this is that when we are anxious, particularly if the spot we are anxious about is in our lower body, we tense up our muscles, our thigh muscles and the big hammock like muscle which supports all our lower organs and structures called the pelvic floor muscle. This causes increased pressure and tension in our pelvis which causes less room and irritation to our detruser muscle (our bladder) which makes us want to empty it sooner than we need to. The other reason for this is related to our nervous system. (too long boring and complicated to go into). There is a way we can tell if its a true urgency/frequency or if its anxiety related, but im not going to post that, as its too individual and i dont want to start someone worrying about something they dont have.

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

I had one back in 2002. I swear, the pain, i put it right up there with the throat abscess and childbirth. I was pee'ing blood for a week...agony. I was given antibiotics and it cleared up. Thank goodness i've not experienced a bladder infection to that degree since. I never linked it to anxiety though.

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

I've had all of these at some point and more, lol.

As a guy it's harder to get UI, so I've not had too many, but boy does it hurt if you do!

I've been through periods where my anxiety has made me have to go every 5 mins and I've had some close calls in the night before . Sometimes, the opposite problem, not being able to go at all, 'retention'. Both from meds and from anxiety.

It's quite an embarassing one, but a fairly common 'phobia' for guys I think, but standing at the urinals with anyone else in the room, I often can't go at all, even if I'm bursting! I normally dash for the cubicals if there's anyone else in there.

Hi,

One of my main problems is frequent urination, which is caused from anxiety.

Red

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information