Thread: Group cbt for anxiety?

Group cbt for anxiety?

Hi

Ive had a call from the mental health team inviting me to group anxiety management sessions, she said there will be 6 of us there plus 2 therapists. She said they will use cbt techniques & implied that this is the only therapy I will be getting.

Is this normal? I assumed that cbt would be one on one which I wouldve preferred - I have social anxiety & really wont feel comfortable discussing my issues in front of other people. Im willing to give it a try but am just wondering if anyone has experienced these types of sessions before or have any advice x

Re: Group cbt for anxiety?

"I have social anxiety & really wont feel comfortable discussing my issues in front of other people." >haziefantasie

Coming to terms with this and learning to deal with this is the whole point of group therapy.

I've done group therapy in the past, and despite initial misgivings ended up really enjoying it. Both groups only lasted for a year/one and half years respectively and I certainly would have kept on doing it, but sadly one group got dismantled on the basis of half its members moving away over a short period of time, and another time the therapist moved abroad. Both experiences were really positive experiences, and I am looking back fondly, not least in view of how it helped me coming to terms with my problems. It was very helpful indeed!

Group therapy is generally intended for the long term, as it will take some time for everybody to get to know each other sufficiently to be comfortable enough to come out of their shells. Once that actually happens and people trust each other and start to talk openly about their problems, that's when it really becomes enjoyable, and sometimes even quite enlightening! I loved going to those groups, they felt like a safe haven, and it was a relief to see first hand that I wasn't the only one having problems. There are still a couple of people from those groups that I call friends today!

The groups I attended weren't primarily based on CBT, but I can really see the benefits of this. CBT is brilliant, but it needs personal input and can be hard work to do it and practice on one's own. In this respect I think it could be potentially very beneficial to have other people going through the same process and being able to exchange tips and inspirations. This could be a really interesting and positive scenario - keep us posted!

Hi i had group sessions and like you i was a bit put off by the thought of having to discuss things in front of others.However i have to say the group cbt really helped me and i would recommend it to anyone with anxiety Along with this site and CBT i have a better understanding and control of my anxiety and dare i say more of a normal life goodluck i hope it goes aswell for you xxxxxx

Thank you for your replies

The course is only for 6 weeks (one session each week) so Im not sure how easy it will be to open up but Ill keep an open mind. It starts on thurs morning so Ill let you know how it goes x

My bf had group CBT for his anxiety and it really helped. Good luck and I wish you all the best xxx

Thanks sop84 for your reply

Well it went ok, I was really anxious to start with but relaxed a bit by the end & I think it will get better each week. I kept blushing when I talked which I hate & went quiet which I usually do when Im anxious but I dont think I made a total idiot of myself! The info we discussed & exercises set were the same as Ive already looked at in books but I think itll be good to discuss them with the others, and itll force me to do the exercises aswell. Ill keep you updated with how it all goes anyway x

Good for you, haziefantasie! I'm sure it'll get easier with every time you are going to the group.

And don't worry about making an "idiot" of yourself - because we are all entitled to do this every now and again!

Apart from that I don't think anybody within the group would think in those terms anyway, as they will all have their own reasons for being there and fearing exactly the same thing. So, don't be so hard on yourself!

Well done hun

My bf found it rele useful, and made friends with people in his group too. Which he emails for support. Just keep remembering they are all in the same boat as you hun but for different reasons.

Keep it up hunny XX

Hi Just wanted to say well done to haziefantasie! http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.gif

Going to a group rather than doing individual CBT can be really hard but can be even better than going to individual CBT as you will learn form other people and can help you overcome your fears as you have cope with the anxiety of the group which will help you habituate to the anxiety. (hope this makes - learnt this on a course I did)

You are a star!

Thread Information