Thread: Intrusive thoughts upsetting me

Intrusive thoughts upsetting me

OK - I trust you lot so decided to say what's on my mind. What's been bothering me - on and off for a long time - is intrusive thoughts. Like if I'm sitting with someone I'll get a thought saying "do this/say this" - I know I'd never do it but the thoughts are still there. Been happening since I was about eleven and they are always of a sexual nature. Thing is they are people I know - involved friends, relatives, teachers, my immediate family - and occasionally I get into a panic worrying I am essentially an evil person. I once tried very awkwardly to speak to my mum - she said it's normal. I then googled it and it too said it's normal but only if you are repulsed by these thoughts and getting zero pleasure at all.

But sometimes that does happen; that they almost turn me on in a way. Is that just because they are sexual thoughts? Is that the same as hearing someone else having sex - or thinking about it, would that be normal? I have this problem if I give people a massage (apparently am quite good at it so am often asked to) or if someone massages me - but is that different and should I avoid that altogether?

My mum said that too is normal to fantasise even about people who are closely related to you - that most people do it but just would never tell anyone? And not to think too much about it? But I'm really worried. I can't tell anyone as I'm too embarrassed so telling you on here in the hope someone can help me?

I feel so so stupid for writing this here and I relaise it's probably breaking some kind of rule although I have tried not to write in too much detail, sorry.
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Re: Intrusive thoughts upsetting me

The most I know about OCD thoughts is from a program I watched.
    This dad have a fear of being alone with his new daughter because he was having thoughts about putting her into a trash can and leaving her there.
    I'm not sure what therapy he got but I remember it did work for him.

Often things that are considered taboo can excite us, It's just most people are too ashamed to admit it.

Maybe you are fantasizing about people you trust and feel comfortable with?

Re: Intrusive thoughts upsetting me

I don't know about intrusive thoughts of this nature, but do know that CBT can help challenge "unhelpful thoughts" of any nature.

You're a good and decent person, don't doubt yourself.

Thread Information