Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switched from Citalopram to Escitalopram-Advice!

Switched from Citalopram to Escitalopram-Advice!

Hi, I last posted a year ago following a relapse due to withdrawal from Cit due to a severe stomach upset, and a year on and I've had a relapse. I had been taking 20mg of Cit for 6 years then after last years' events went up to 40mg. I've since had a relapse which started a month ago and my doc has changed me to 20mg Escitalopram 2 weeks ago as anxiety is my major problem, as well as depression. I'm not seeing much improvement so far; still very anxious all the time (I think I have GAD as my anxiety is not specific to any one thing), tearful, no appetite, withdrawn and restless, although I do feel a bit better of an evening. My doc has also prescribed Buspirone for my anxiety. I'd appreciate any comments as I am stuggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Re: Switched from Citalopram to Escitalopram-Advice!

Hi,

I have only been on cipralex for 12 days so can't really advise you, however from many of the posts on here it seems that it can take some time to get into your system. I'd definately give it another few weeks, I know its hard but just think to yourself that it can't be any worse than the last two weeks. I too had no appetite, and although it returning a little now, I feel sick every time after I eat, not sure if thats just my mind playing tricks or what, I just try and busy myself till it passes.

Keep taking it day by day, thats what i am doing, if you not feeling any improvement after another 2 weeks, give you doctor a visit and see what he says.

x

Good advice SMB.

Also try some other things to compliment the meds, exercise, some breathing exercises, talk therapy (with a friend or professional) meditation, picking a ten minutes period in the day to completely relax ( hot bath, reading, a nap, or whatever is relaxing for you)

My short experience with Escitalopram is that is takes longer to work so you may have to be patient to see it's full benefits.

Hang in there and you will get through it.

Hi tem yes i agree with Smb it does take awhile to get into your system and keep busy i have been on it now for thirtythree days and i am just starting to feel the benifits off it but stick with it and you will be fine hope your day has been good take care and will speak soon xx

DAY 14: Woke up feeling anxious, as I seem to, appetite non-existent, but yesterday had quite a good day, no tears! Hopefully today will be as good. My anxiety almost feels like feeling frightened about being frightened, which in my mind I know is irrational. Slept quite well, but seem to wake at roughly the same time and then toss and turn for another hour or so; the morning is definitely worse for me. Will post later...Am off for a walk around town with my mum so hopefully no tears! I think a diary is a good idea as I can hopefully chart good progress!

Hi tem,

I too am always worse in the mornings, usually for 2-4 hours and then it eases off. Was anxious again this morning but not as bad as it has been so i'm taking that as a positive sign. My appetite is still not brilliant, I usually can't eat until the afternoon or evening. I just try and eat as much as I can when I do feel hungry.

I am kind of using this forum/posts as a diary, along with the help/advice/encouragement from Anxious in Canada and Panic52. Reading their posts/updates as well as my own helps me immensely. Whatever we can do for that extra bit of reassurance!

My day so far is not quite as good as yesterday but i'm not reading too much into it.

Hope u have a good day x

hi tem sorry you are not feeling all that great today ? but you are doing well it is only a blip and you wil, get throuh it ? i still have my off days too just try too keep positve and busy to keep your mind off it ? im glad i had my work to keep me occupied your appetite will come back mine has and i am staring to experiment with other foods again ? so thats another challenge for me hope you have a better day tomorow take care speak soon xxx
    Last edited by Pcdaft; 07-02-11 at 00:13. Reason: worng name

I found escitalopram took longer to work than other SSRI's I've been on. Try to stick with it if you can, you've come this far.

Best of Luck.

DAY 15: Yesterday was an anxious one, felt uptight all day then had a couple of short tearful episodes, which could've been because my mum was going home after spending a few days with me, and also because I thought I might not be able to eat my dinner...silly I know! Anxious this morning again, but going to try not to let it get the better of me, in my mind I know it will eventually subside, but patience is not my strong point, just want to feel like myself again.

Do you take your med in the morning? I do and mornings always seemed the worst for, especially trying to eat something so I could take the pills... But it does get better

Be kind to yourself and try to do somethings to help with the anxiety.

I probably sound like a broken record: exercise at least 3 times a week (a half hour walk or yoga or anything you enjoy), deep breathing exercises ten minutes a day and whenever the anxiety is bad, meditation ( I do 6 mins a day) or some form of relaxation and of course talk therapy (whine moan and complain to someone who is empathetic)

Of course this is my recipe but you may do things different in you own recipe but developing one is key.

Hang in there you are close to getting back to normal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information