Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again :(

Here we go again :(

Doctor has now prescribed Sertraline as she says they have minimal side effects?

Tried Fluoxetine and Anafril which were both horrendous.

As you will all understand my anxiety is making me scared to try another medication terrified of the awful side affects.

Has anyone got anything positive to tell me about this drug please??

Starting my CBT tomorrow so Doc has said not to start until I have had my first session as she feels this is more important than the medication.

What makes it worse my husband just doesn't understand he tells me to just take the tablets and think positive it is all so so hard, just living is hard at the moment.

Re: Here we go again :(

Hi there,

I've been on sertraline for 4 weeks now. Started at 25mg for a week and then up to 50mg which I'm still on. It made me feel a feel a wee bit sick at first but nothing too bad cos I've got emetophobia but I was fine, had no other side effects and I'm feeling a bit better and less anxious. Immediately before that I was on Imipramine which is very similar to Anafril (clomiprimane) and that didn't suit me at all. Before that I was on escitalopram for 5 months which seemed to help at first but then I became unwell again. Before THAT, I was on Seroxat for 14 years which worked very well for me until last year. I have also been on Prozac and a fewer other trycylics over the years.

I'm taking diazepam (5mg) 3 times a day just now as well cos I've just recently come out of hospital but that will be gradually reduced over time.

Good luck with the sertraline, it's nowhere near as bad as the imipramine was for me and as I said imipramine is very similar to Anafril.

Keep us posted.

Hi Lizzy,
    I have been on sertraline, on and off for the past 9 years! Five days ago, I started taking it again (25mg) after having been of it for a year. The side effects on sertraline i have found to be minimal, with the worst being for me, the fuzzy head and a slight headache, (although that could be caffeine withdrawal!) I asked my pharmacist how long these side effects last for and she has told me usually about 2 weeks. Everyone reacts differently to different medication, so give it a go.
    Quite often we worry about having to change or even taking medication, in turn that increases our anxiety. I know that everytime i go back on it, I get more anxious because I don't like taking it (I don't even like taking paracetemol at times!) But at the end of the day, I know its going to make me feel better and that in time I will be able to function normally!
    Good Luck...and don't be scared, its just fuelling your anxiety...just embrace it for what it is, and give it time to work....

Thank you haz and Patsta for your comments!

I am terrified of medication which is all part of my anxiety. Sending my husband up the chemist to pick up the prescription and maybe I should give it a go.

Been signed of work for 6 weeks now and not getting any better so I know deep down I amy not beat this episode without help.

Will let you know how I get on ..

Wish you luck Lizzyg....just remember it all takes time, you may feel a little worse the first week or so, but it is completely normal....so perservere with it and their is light at the end of the tunnel. I am on day 7 now of taking sertraline, still feeling a little fuzzy, but no where near as bad.
    Whats keeps me going is knowing that in afew more weeks, I will be back to my old self again...its a short time really in the context of things.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah, Good Luck. Keep us posted. x

Well I took my first pill this morning after reading my valentines card from my husband. I think is is suffering as well as me as I am so bad at the moment :(

Very anxious at the moment but that is because I have taken a pill!!! I know it is so silly it isn't going to kill me but so hard to control the fear.

Trying to think of ways to keep busy. At least it is a sunny day will probably go for a long walk with the dogs!

Lizzyg, I've been on it for over a month now. I still haven't upped my dosage, though I've contemplated and tried a couple days. I'm continuing on the 25mg with low to no side-effects, really. I do think it helps take the edge off for me.

Well done Lizzyg...try and keep yourself busy...I know with myself, if i get out in the garden, or read a book etc...it takes my mind of it and I don't feel anywhere near as anxious. I am on day 9 now, and most of the side effects have gone, apart from still feeling a little anxious, but I know that the meds haven't really kicked in yet, a few more weeks and I know I'll be feeling much better! Just persevere through it, you'll be good in no time!

I have to tell you, today I upped my dose to 50mg, was on 25mg for 8 days. I was a little anxious about doing that because of the side effects I felt in the first week of starting my meds again, but I must say, that today was one of my better days in the last 9! I'm sitting here, its 8.45pm and I feel almost normal! I've had a decent dinner, first in a long time (maybe thats not a good thing...the weight will go back on! lol) and am feeling quite calm. Whatever you do Lizzyg....stick it out.....you will have some bad days in the early stages, but you will come good again!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information