Thread: How were you diagnosed with IBS

Question How were you diagnosed with IBS

I have IBS i have not amy tests but many years ago my bowels started playing up and after examination he said i had IBS so how did you all get diagnosed did you have to have hospital tests ?

Re: How were you diagnosed with IBS

Hi,

I've been to the docs lots of times over the past couple of years with stomach problems (pain under ribs, in overy area, feeling full quickly when eating, excessive burping, diahorrea etc etc....) and each time the doc has felt my tummy and said it's IBS. Just before Christmas I had blood tests for anaemia and to check for inflammation in my body and both were fine so GP is happy with IBS diagnosis. Yesterday I had blood test for coeliac disease but GP is confident it will be clear.

K xx

Normally, IBS is diagnosed after all tests have proven to be negative, I believe.

This obviously depends on the amount of tests you have done as it would be foolish to suspect IBS just by the patients description of symptoms (in my opinion).

I was diagnosed with IBS 15 years ago just by a physical examination and it was only by my own persistance that Coeliac Disease was eventually discovered via an Endoscopy (a blood test will show up abnormal readings prior to this).

Sadly, I am now also a proud owner of IBS as well.

Horse.

I had tests at the hospital .id had a really severe bout that lasted a year and wasnt responding to treatment .I didnt get a lot of help with it from them or my Gp .I learnt all I could and helped myself .I only have the odd bout occassionaly now and it usually only lasts a few days .Sue

thanks for replying i was just interested to know how we all found out

Mine was a need to go the loo more often for a wee wee Seroiusly , that was my first symtom , at first they thought a bladder infection but said it was unlikely as i was male , my man bits also tingled ?? Anyway over the weeks my stomach starting gurgling , constipation , severe stomach cramps , and diareah Then the doc said it was ibs . Apparantly my bowel must have been pressing on my bladder to make me go for a wee more often . It was bad for 6 months then just cleared up on its own . Now and again it kicks off but only lasts a few days .
    Never had any proper tests done .

My doctor just listened to all my symptoms, told him no history of cancers in family, I wasn't having any blood in or on stool, nor weight loss, nor pencil thin stools, I kept a log for three months every day, showing that when I ate certain foods like garlic, onion, avocado, sugars with itol such as sorbitol, manitol, HFCS, that I would have stomach pains issues. haveing soft serve like stools, to watery stools more often than normal, for two weeks at a time with bouts of normal stools for months then back to loose stools, he goes yep IBS/D have had this for four years now and no cancer like symptoms, and I have had no tests run.

Thread Information