Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone. Renea here.

Thanks Stepher. I've been doing exactly what you said. Last night I went out driving for awhile trying to extend my distance away from home. I was stuck at a intersection at a red light and guess what, I started to panic. I don't know why, but i did. Guess it was because the whole time i kept wondering if i'm gonna have one. I tried not to think of it that way, but it's hard not to. So I cranked on the airconditioner and rolled down the window and that made me feel better. So of course I went home after that. Maybe I'll do better tonight. Love, Renea

Dear Renea,

We've all been there . I used to be physically sick driving but now I'm back to it being second nature .

Good for you for trying and excellent news for coping with it. Singing loudly helps as does a talking book with a story you're interested in.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Renea

Driving is my/was my biggest problem. I am doing very well with it now but it has taken many many years to conquer it.

Take a look at the website - the coping page - there is a bit about coping whilst driving - may help.

Stepher - great advice and you are right about the passing out - I never have done. I think my fears are claustrophobia - cos I hate traffic jams and stuck on a road I can't get off.

The only way to get over it is to keep doing it over and over again.

Nicola

Thanks Nicole. I just read the site for coping. I'll keep them tips in mind. I just hope they work. Last night I went out for a drive and I got stuck at a red light (a long one) and I started to panic. I cranked on the airconditioning and that made me feel better. So then (bad me) I had to turn around and go home. I'm going to go back out tonight and see if I can get further. I just wish I could be my old self. But I have to keep telling myself, I will conquer this and be that old person and enjoy things in life that i now avoid. Thanks. Love Renea

Hello Renea, For me driving is the worst because I can't avoid it. Because of the PAs I try to make it as easy for myself as possible. I drive slowly with a window open and stick to the right lane. This means I can stop whenever I want to, it doesn't matter if it's illegal to do so or not. I'm always nervous when I drive, thinking that I might panic, but doing the above I never have and I have never had to stop either. It's not good to avoid things but if you can make it easier, why not?

I used to carry an emergency kit whilst driving.

Little book on calmness, little book on panic.
    Bach remedies
    Singing to CD's
    Murray mints
    Nuts
    Water
    Map - in case of turning off early
    Flicky through magazines
    Talking book CD
    Paper and pen for writing and planning anything - to aid concentration.

It helped to have something to distract myself with when it all ground to a halt.

Look on the coping pages of the home page

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Nicola, sorry I looked but could not find my name or anything about the Cipralex, sorry, from Blossom

Hi Renea,
    Welcome to the site....as everyone has already said lol. We have all been at the same points with our panic and anxiety, and it's great to talk to people that feel the same because they are hard to find unfortunatly. This site was a godsend for me, it has helped so much and i hope it does the same for you
    hope to see you around in the chat sometime
    -Christie[:I]

Thanks Christie. So far I've enjoyed the forums and chat room. It does help alot knowing about other peoples problems with the panic. I also hope to see you around the chat. Love Renea xxxx

hi renea just a quick note to say hope you have had a good weekend and you are feeling well take care love from mary x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information