Thread: how did you overcome (or are keeping on top of) social anxiety

how did you overcome (or are keeping on top of) social anxiety

In the middle of october i was forced to work in a charity shop by the jobcentre, a condition of being out of work for so long (in fact i have never worked due to my mental health problems). It was only towards the end of the 2 month placement that i went in and noticed i was starting to feel a bit more comfortable. And because it was helping me (and i had wanted to volunteer before being forced but was just too anxious to put myself in the situation) i decided to stay on as a volunteer. What i have noticed is that i am still a quiet guy just not dominated by anxiety (well as much as before). Now i am beginning to have good days for the first time in my life (since before i was 8, but i dont remember those). and i am wanting to make the most of them. Its given me some confidence i suppose and belief.Now ok i am still quiet but my mind is trying to think of jokes etc and i want to be around people and can enjoy it. It hasnt made me sort of suddenly become interested in parties and nights out and such, just happy and able to be around and enjoy talking to others. I cannot believe how difficult this condition is/has been and for other people suffering out there it can be so unbelievably hard. I hate people who say social anxiety and such dont exist, they will never understand it. I do fear it returning but trying to just enjoy every day at the moment in the moment so to speak.

I was wondering how other people with social anxiety are keeping on top of the problem or overcoming the problem or have overcome it?

Re: how did you overcome (or are keeping on top of) social anxiety

Hi
    I had terrible social anxiety when I was in my late teens (now 24) and I got over it by forcing myself into situations where I had to talk! I was in university and went over and stood with a group of people from my course that I'd never spoken to before. I didn't really join the conversation by talking but listened and laughed where appropriate and then some of them started talking directly to me.

It was the most terrifying thing I had ever done but afterwards the fact I'd done something that, to me, was massive, meant I could deal with smaller things because they just seemed like nothing anymore. For instance, I had previously been unable to ask a cashier for help in a supermarket if I couldn't find anything and I was terrified the cashier would talk to me when I went to the tills, but that just sort of dissolved away once I'd taken the leap and stood beside people of my own age.

I think what you're doing is fantastic. Phobias will only go if you face them head on and by working in the shop that's exactly what you're doing. I think from now on life will just keep getting better and better for you.

Nowadays, I'm quiet but I have a lot of confidence as well. I go to a tap dance class on a Thursday and I'm rubbish at it! The teacher makes us all do it on our own in front of everybody else and I always cock it up! But everytime I just find it funny that I can't do it and I look so graceless. We all laugh about it together, which is why I find tap so fun.

I've come a long way from being scared of cashiers (oh yeah, I even did stand up comedy last year!) Social phobia is something you really can grow out of and something that will disappear over time if you continue to expose yourself to your fear by hanging around talking to people.

Good luck with it, it sounds like you've already turned a corner!

Thread Information