Thread: fluoxetine side effects, help!

fluoxetine side effects, help!

Hi I am suffering from Panic disorder/obsessive thoughts and chronic anxiety 24/7 I started on 20 mg of fluoxetine (prozac) 11 days ago, and 80 mg slow release proranolol capsule x 1 a day, I thought they were helping the other day, less panic, obsessive thoughts but the last couple of days I have felt jittery, frightened and feel like I am going mad, I am thinking these are side effects and I should hold out for a couple more weeks, but this is terrifying, I'm shaking, nervous and can't calm down to think straight, I am desperate, will I ever get better? can't stop crying either, I have had these breakdowns 4 times in my life since I was 15, I am now 24 and I have always recovered after a course of antidepressant treatment and had nothing for 4 years and managed to come off them for a whole year! until a month ago when I was feeling particularly vunerable it started up again, therapy hasn't helped much, I just want the antidepressants to work again, I took fluoxetine last time and I got better but it was so long ago I don't really remember whether it was the drug or me that got through it, now I am on them again, having confused thoughts and nervousness, really agitated and desperate for reassurance.

:( Thanks
    Anna

Hi anna24

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: fluoxetine side effects, help!

Hi Anna

I'm sorry you are feeling so ill at the moment. This is a good site for help and reassurance. You haven't given the meds enough time to work yet. Fluoexetine (sp?) is like other SSRIs and does take a few weeks to become effective...likewise propanolol. There are some excellent articles on this site about those meds and their side effects.

Persevere, it does get better, honest. In the meantime be kind to yourself. Make time to do things you enjoy and do not beat yourself up for enjoying them. I often think "stuff the housework I am going for a long walk" and I do it. I'm only in the early stages of recovery but keeping at it seems to be the key. Have you thought of asking your doctor for CBT?

Take care Thyme

Hi Anna,

Welcome to NMP. You will fine lots of support here.

The symptoms you describe are typical when first starting out on srri's and will settle in time, not nice I know but will eventually go. Its hard when you become ill to differenciate from the actual illness and the side effects but as the days go by you will start to benefit and the better days will become more and more frequent and the bad days less and less.

Sorry you feel so horrible and hope it soon passes for you.

Take care.
    Jo.xx

I was started on the same two weeks ago for Panic attacks and anxiety I lasted nine days. My own gp told me to stop taking prozac straight away as it is not the drug for panic/anxiety, their are other AD's out their that do a better job. But each drug works differently for each individual. Just was not for me. Their is a section on this site for fluoxetine have a read.

Thread Information