Thread: Flying and Diazepam?

Flying and Diazepam?

I've been given Diazepam for my fear of flying, and have a flight booked in March. I've been given a strip of 15 and been told to "try one out" before I go to see what effect it has on me. I've taken one and I don't feel any different... I certainly don't think it would make me feel any better about flying.

Has anyone else tried Diazepam for flying? How many should I take? I'm aware that more than 5 could make me sleepy (the flight is only 2.5 hours!), but the insert says you can take up to 15 which sounds like an overdose to me?! Help!

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Re: Flying and Diazepam?

What dosage are the tablets?

Don't expect to feel different on diazepam - basically if you take it before an anxiety-provoking situation, you won't feel doped up or weird, you just won't feel as anxious. It's not like smoking a joint or something. The doc probably wanted you to try out one to make sure the dosage wasn't too high - which can make you feel quite sleepy.

When I first took diazepam, I found that 1 x 2.5mg tablet was enough to stop me having a panic attack.

I always take diazepam for travelling - 5mg is fine for a couple of hours. I remember taking 4 x 10mg on a 12 hour flight to Thailand.... was only actually awake long enough to take each pill, not advisable!

I take diazepam for fear of flying (and for anxiety associated with palpitations). I live on an island and regularly have to take short flights. I usually take 1 x 2.5mg about an hour before take off. This is enough most times but take 2 x 2.5mg for longer flights, if the weather's bad or I'm getting palpitations. The only side effects I seem to get from upping the dose is tiredness. So I guess the more you take the more sleepy you are. One GP suggested taking 2.5mg before bed on the night before travel and then another first thing in the morning and another half an hour before take off but I havent tried this yet. I actually managed to fly without medication in January! but then every time is different.

One 2 mg used to make me feel really relaxed , they were great , now my body is used to it , i feel nothing on this dose . Infact its a habit to take one and drink 4 cans with it , still feel nothing .

I,ve only 12 left and i,m not allowed anymore so i,m on 1/2 a one now...1 mg .

From my ltd experience of them ,the first time ... they kick in within 30 minutes , as said above they just take the egde off , but you feel relaxed enough to not panic . I,m a big guy and 2 mg was fine for me at first .

This is why they are addictive , your body gets used to them and you need to up the dose to get the same effect , but as a first time user you should be fine .

The idea of one at night and one before the flight is because they have a very long "half life " in your body , so you would be topping it back up before the flight .

Personally i,d try just one or two on a day when you don,t need to drive and not got much on and see how you go .

A lot depends on the dosage you have , i,d guess just 2 mg ?

Thanks guys!

My Diazepam is 2mg. I might try the taking one the night before and then the morning and then before I take off... The worst bit for me is the waiting around before you get on the plane and then take off, I'm a completely different person once the plane levels off and were crusing. I'm now a bit scared that i'll be able to get on the flight on the way there and then not get on it on the way back home - i'm kinda superstitious and the return flight will be the 13th flight i've taken... eek!

Thread Information