Thread: Falling asleep

Falling asleep

Hi there
    I was wondering if anyone else gets this feeling when they are falling asleep. Its not like the jolting as posted about in the sticky post above. What happens is when I start to drift off some nights, I find it very easy and feel very drowsy as soon as I close my eyes, but then as I start to fall asleep, I become aware of my breathing and open my eyes. And as soon as I open my eyes I go incredibly dizzy, feel like I'm not inside my own body and feel as though I can't breathe. It can happen 2 or 3 times in one night and is incredibly frightening. Was wondering if anyone can relate to this or can suggest what it could be.

Thanks
    Jen

Re: Falling asleep

yes i have that. i would be so terrified i would jump out of bed and panic like mad then i would feel very dizzy and feel as if im going to pass out......

best thing i did was go out-side in my back gardan and get some fresh air with a glass of water

i would say try that if it every happens again and see how you go from there..........

plus i should say control your breathing that helps so much

Thanks for the reply, I'm relieved it's not just me who gets it! Your going outside suggestion would be good if I didn't live in a top floor apartment! But will try opening up the skylight for some air! :-)

it really helps the fresh air and a glass of water or milk and like i said control your breathing and see from there and there is other stuff like as your on the internet go on youtube and find some relaxing music that you can relax to before going to bed even if you or very stress'd

Hi hun

Its dame hard and frightening when you don't understand whats happening, this can feel very scary BUT it is harmless,

I have had this in the past, like you, it frightened the life out of me.

When we are in anxiety mode we can become more sensitive to our body's normal reaction to things, like sleep.

When you start to sleep your mind is focusing on how you breath, this in turn sets your alarm bells off and your anxiety gets higher, so you open your eyes, the RUSH as I used to call it of adrenalin sets of what I called a woosh, a dizzy like feeling, hence your thoughts go a billion miles an hour back to your breathing, this puts 2 and 2 together and comes up with 5 "ohhhh I can't breath"

Knowing and understanding, that this will not harm me, helped, also knowing that the feelings DO PASS, this helped to, but also learning how to breath, helped lots, I felt when this happened, I was a little out of control with my
    breathing. My thoughts where, if I can practice, practice, practice, breathing I would brake the little roundabout I was on every time I woke up feeling like
    this.

I would go to bed, every single night practicing my breathing and thinking good things, making a nice future for myself, HAY, I even won the lotto lots of times and spent the money before I got to sleep LOL

I did buy a self hypnoses cd, which talked me through some breathing, I used this a lot when I was acute.

This did not work straight away, but it did over time,

Hun, its OK, to be scared, ALLOW yourself to be frightened, lets face it, if anyone, even if they don't suffer anxiety woke up and felt they could not breath, they would be frightened too SO, ALLOW your fears, be kind to yourself,

REMEMBER, its how we respond to the symptoms that count, its how we LEARN over time, to reassure ourselves, to allow ourselves to be frightened, BUT, then go on to use your breathing that you have learned, learn some reassuring statements eg, its ok, its just anxiety, this WILL PASS.

You have had some good advice from Kyle, feeling wind or cold air, can stop the roundabout, find what works for YOU.

YOU WILL it time, with a lot of hard work, time and the right support, get better hun believe you can get better, REALLY believe and your mind WILL find ways to do it.

Hope this has been of some help, I know this is hard for you

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------

Thanks for your lovely message Jill.
    It happened about 2 times last night before i fell asleep, but i think i handled them better than i usual do (my partner didn't get woke up with me squeezing his hand and burying my head in his chest haha!)
    I think just someone else saying they have had it and knowing its just the anxiety helps. I always worried myself when it happened that it was some kind of sleep apnea!

Jen :-) x

hi i too have had this. when i first started getting it i used to jump up and panic believing it was something far worse. now however when i get it i sit up right and just breathe reassuring myself I'm breathing then lay back down and sleep x x

Hi Jen

***i handled them better than i usual do **

Its dame hard NOT to worry when things happen, BUT hun, It sounds like your chipping away at your anxiety, WELL DONE, be proud of yourself.

When we start to deal with anxiety, as symptoms come, it can feel less intense, THIS IS the start of us dealing with things. What we look for, is the small changes in our reactions and what we do. YOU didn't need your partner , you dealt with it yourself, this IS progress THATS GREAT

***but i think i handled them better than i usual do***

Changing the way we think is not easy, it takes a lot of hard work and time, THINKING you have done ok is fine, BUT, if you can KNOW IT, REALLY believe how well you have , be proud of yourself, praise yourself A LOT, tell yourself as times goes on, you WILL learn and get better. This helps us move forward a little.

*** I always worried myself when it happened that it was some kind of sleep apnea!***

What I will say Jen, I would say this to anyone who has anxiety, PLEASE DON'T let Mrs anxiety play with you on this one (apnea) if you are really worried, go talk to your gp, peace of mind goes along way.

My hubby has sleep amnea, I was the one who noticed it, he does not have anxiety.

YOU DID REALLY WELL last night keep chipping away at it and in time, this WILL STOP.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

------------------------------------------

"Every thought you think changes your
    biochemistry.
    Your hormones are effected by your
    thoughts.
    Pay attention to stuff that bring you
    joy.
    Look for things that bring you a
    SMILE"

---------------------------------