Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benefits for Social Anxiety and Agoraphobia

Re: Benefits for Social Anxiety and Agoraphobia

Hi
    You can apply for ESA - it used to be Incap Benefit. You can get it, even if you live with your husband/partner. You don't have to sign on if they think you are unwell enough to. It will also help to get your gp involved with it.
    You can also ask for home visits by the DHSS if you cannot get out of the house.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled.../esa/index.htm

Diane's suggestion about contacting Citizen Advice is a good one. They are so helpful.
    All the best!

hi rain

i would have thought that you would qualify for disability living allowance or esa.

perhaps you could take the benefits advisory test to see what you might be entitled to.

https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov...e/portal/ba/lp

take care

b x

Hi all my first post here.

I started claiming ESA last year, I filled in the form online and then they rang me to confirm details. I have no partner or husband so i dont know what benefit you may be entiled too.

Being agoraphobic like you I was unable to go to the medical assessment.
    When I received my appointment through from the medical services I phoned and told them that I would not be able to go, and iirc they asked that my doctor fax through a letter, after they had notification of my phobia I was then told that I would be able to have a home visit.
    However, it does take a while. My original appointment at the centre was in 2nd week in May and I never got a home visit until about 10 weeks later and that was after I chased them up, apparently because no doctor would have been in the area.
    As it turned out the doctor that did visit me had driven just over 60 miles and was here for all of about 10 minutes! hth

Jac

hi rain not sure if it same in ireland ,but because i couldnt go out i did my claims over the phone ,they rang me back and we filled the forms in on the phone maybe worth asking about that when you ring them good luck xx

Thanks everyone for all the useful advice.

rain im 21 and suffer from anxiety so dont socilase with friends and dont really go out. i havent worked since i left school. my mum sorted all my benefits out for me, but basically i didnt want to even go into the benefits office or anything just like you the thougth made me feel very anxious. i didnt want to even speak on the fone so my mum organised for a lady to do a home visit and do it that way i explained that i basically couldnt leave the house so odviously couldnt work ect...... so basically the lady sorted it all out and i was getting about £180 every 2 weeks from disability living allowance and incapasity, ive been getting that for the last 4 years or so but the only snag is recently they wantede me to go into the offices to have a meeting to asses me if you like, and i refused, so they stopped my money so i dont get anything now. so for me now im trying to sort out a way to get better to even go to the office. vicous circle. hope this helps ul be ok x
    Last edited by tomo777; 21-02-11 at 00:08. Reason: incorrect spelling

hard to say what to do as your not in the uk but the psychiactric evaluations can be done at your home the forms can be done by post theres always a away
    dont give up god bless

Quote Originally Posted by tomo777 View Post
    rain im 21 and suffer from anxiety so dont socilase with friends and dont really go out. i havent worked since i left school. my mum sorted all my benefits out for me, but basically i didnt want to even go into the benefits office or anything just like you the thougth made me feel very anxious. i didnt want to even speak on the fone so my mum organised for a lady to do a home visit and do it that way i explained that i basically couldnt leave the house so odviously couldnt work ect...... so basically the lady sorted it all out and i was getting about £180 every 2 weeks from disability living allowance and incapasity, ive been getting that for the last 4 years or so but the only snag is recently they wantede me to go into the offices to have a meeting to asses me if you like, and i refused, so they stopped my money so i dont get anything now. so for me now im trying to sort out a way to get better to even go to the office. vicous circle. hope this helps ul be ok x
    what you do now is get a letter from your doctor send it to DWP the people who stopped it your money are a firm the govermet use called atos thay find everyone fit for work but you can win on appeil dont give up
    fight them god bless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information