Thread: starting up a self help group session in the south

starting up a self help group session in the south

hi all, i am really keen to start a self help group for all people with anxiety panic or depression problems, a place where we can all get together and understand, not to make everything all right but to listen and ease some fears or answer some questions maybe sometimes.

please let me know if anyone would be interested.

take care and hope to hear from fellow worriers.x

Hi,

Interested to see you plan to start up a group.

I now run one in Woking, and wonder where yours is going to be based, and what the format would be. How big do you see your catchment area?

No Panic have a directory of self-help groups around the country and I'd also check up with your local Community Mental Health Team as they'd probably now of any groups in the locality. Just so you don't duplicate.

Don't forget we are planning a meet-up at Brighton at the beginning of May - see this thread I would like to meet up in the South East

For details of my group go to http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/ and this thread on this site My new self-help group

Keep us posted,

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

hi ray, i dont see it being a very big thing, just a meet of a few people in the hampshire and dorset area who are interested, maybe in someones home or a quiet cafe, its just an idea at the moment i will wait for response from other before i put any certain plans out there, i mean this site is great and has helped me in the short time i been on it when needed, but thee nothing like c,ing and knowing your not one of a kind and other people suffer also and they are normal regular people who you pass in the street, and i hope the group can be used for worriers to see this.

hi,

well its a good idea whatever the format. The meet ups we have here tend to be fairly laid back 'chats' and they are not overladen with anxiety talk as they last a few hours lol. I see self-help groups as regular sessions in a room where the chat is mostly anxiety talk, so I wasn't sure what your aim was.

If there was a meet up down there and that would give you an opportunity to canvass ideas for more regular meet ups.

Anxiety makes us feel very alone, and I think its great that you have this idea in mind. If I lived a little nearer, I'd be joining in!

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

whereabouts in the South coz would be very interested

Thread Information