Thread: Nortriptyline

Nortriptyline

I am looking for some advise and hope that someone can help.
    I usually can't take any form of meds of this kind but realy want to give it a go as I am desperate to give it a go to conquer my long term anxiety. My doc is great and has prescribed Nortriptyline 10mg the lowest dose to get me started and to prevent me from worry about the side effects. Can anyone tell me if I will get many side effects from just 10mg per day to start and also if so would I be able to half them to start of with? I have read that your not suppose to crush or chew them but dont understand why. I also suffer terrible with ectopic and fast heart beat and have heard that these tablets can caue them...please help as I truly want to try to give these tabs a try but need some positivity or they will end up just another prescription sat on the shelf!! I would be more than grateful for any advise you guys can offer!!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Nortriptyline

Nortriptyline is the milder active metabolite of amitriptyline. It's a good alternative to SSRIs if you're particularly sensitive to them.

I don't think you need to break them in half, as it's such a low dose, I really don't think you'll get any major side effects. Give it a go as it could really help - and you'll never know until you take them - so don't go leaving them on the shelf!

Even if you were to get mild palps etc it shouldn't be prolonged or intense and tbh there's more chance of your anxiety causing this effect anyway.

Let us know how you get on, and don't forget that looking into other forms of non-med therapies is also very worthwhile (self-help books, CDs, CBT, counselling etc).

Never Surrender, Comrade

Hi Melancholia
    Thanks so much for the fast reply - you have realy made me feel that I can give them a go as you right in saying that even if the palps com on theyre likely to be a result of the anxiety anyway! The only thing that is bothering me till is that I had a bad experience with Amtripyline years ago and was the first med i tried - in truth they were probably what put me off all the meds and made me cared in the first place - but as you say its such a low dose I'm hoping it will be okay.
    Gad

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

....And it's a much milder med compared to amitriptyline GAD.

You will be fine

Never Surrender, Comrade

Didnt take any last night but going to have a go tonight.....fingers crossed and THANKS!

Thread Information