Thread: returning to work

returning to work

Hi,

I have been signed off work since August last year suffering with severe anxiety, i was hospitalized in August and remained there for 6 weeks. I am currently on 30mg seroxat and 150mg of seroquel. i am at the stage now where i feel almost like my old self, (although i still have the occasional intrusive thought and nervous feeling for no reason) and i am thinking of going back to work, but i am terrified of becoming unwell again. Can i ask if you think returning to work is the final stage of recovery and also do think you would ever end up as unwell as you where at the beginning.

Re: returning to work

Hello elainey I dont think is the final stage of recovery but i do think that is good and positive change,what i dont understadn why your doctor havent raised the seroquel bit more because you are saying that the anxiety still dont let you go and work!!so i think that the best way go back and drive your life is adjust your medications to a real therapeutic benefit, when you fill good and i mean "good" then you go back to work,I am been slave of the axiety for 40 years belive me i really know what i talking about good luck, get better

Re: returning to work

Hi elainey,

I think after being off work for a few months like you have you are bound to be nervous about becoming ill again, I think work will help in the final stage of recovery. Sometimes you have to just push a little and you get results. My last bout of illness had me out of work for 5 months and during the beginning of it I tried to go back to work twice and had to come home again!! I eventually went back in March last year on a phased in return which was 3 hours a day to begin with gradually increasing by 1hr a week until I was full-time again. Yes, I've had my moments and still do but I carry on regardless and push through, even though sometimes I feel total crap!!!

My advice would be if you feel you are ready then go back and try it perhaps on a phased return like I did....you will know when you are ready but there is an element of push involved but you will do it and once you have the confidence will come with it. Please dont think you will feel as bad as you did in the first place as you have come such a long way and that wont happen.

Take care and let us know what you decide to do.

Jo.xx

Thread Information