Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol side effects-Bad sleep?

Propranolol side effects-Bad sleep?

Hi there,i was prescribed Propranolol (80 mg slow release) and have recently started taking it regulary to help with anxiety/panicking,unfortunatly i am struggling to sleep now,is this a side effect of the medication and if so how long does it last please? I am wary about taking these tablets as i dont want my sleep to be effected.
    Thank you
    P.S.i am on mirtazapine as well
    Last edited by Abby1; 17-02-11 at 08:57. Reason: More info

Re: Propranolol side effects-Bad sleep?

What time of the day are you taking them?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Nightmares and disturbed sleep are common side effects when starting on Propranolol, though as insomnia was one of the symptoms of my anxiety too, I didn't really notice a difference in that respect, lol.

I did also have a few nightmares though, which I wasn't used to. After a week or two they stopped.

I'm on 80mg slow release too and I take it in the morning.

i have taken them 5 years must say never had any problems with them

Hi,i tend to take the propanolol in the mornings about 9am ish
    thanks

Hi Abby

How long have you been on mirtazapine for, and have you increased the dose recently? Im also taking mirtazapine (30mg) and propranolol 80mg slow release, I havent noticed a change in my sleep since taking propranolol but the mirtazapine has affected it x

Hi,i have been on mirazapine since about the start of Jan and have been on 30mg for about 4 weeks. How has your sleeping been effected?

When I was on 15mg I fell straight asleep and woke up feeling like I had slept well, whereas when I went up to 30mg I found it a bit harder to drop off and didnt sleep as deeply - I dreamt a lot and and woke up feeling exhausted. Since I started propranolol it has improved slightly so fingers crossed it is helping. A few people have mentioned on here that they dont sleep as well on 30mg mirtazapine so that could be what has caused the problems for you, but then again everyones different x

I Have been on propranolol for a week and I don't think it has altered my sleep at all, But then again before I came off the prozac I had NO sleep for eight nights. But last night I had a full eight hours uninterrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Abby1 View Post
    Hi there,i was prescribed Propranolol (80 mg slow release) and have recently started taking it regulary to help with anxiety/panicking,unfortunatly i am struggling to sleep now,is this a side effect of the medication and if so how long does it last please? I am wary about taking these tablets as i dont want my sleep to be effected.
    Thank you
    P.S.i am on mirtazapine as well
    hi i was put on propanolol 80 mg slow release and they were amazing it was as if my heart had been taken out i didn't feel it once but unfortuanatly the side effects for me was no sleep for 3 weeks AT ALL my body wanted to sleep but my eyes stayed wide open i tgook them 1st thing in the morning. the doc changed them to 40mg quick release i think but i had a reaction to them as they wore off so they weren't suitable for me. do you ever notice really high pressure in your neck too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information