Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Here goes - Citalopram the sequel

Re: Here goes - Citalopram the sequel

Excellant i,ve been out walking and bike rideing this morning , to think a few months ago i was to depressed to bother and wouldn,t have enjoyed it .

It sounds like things are looking up for you already , well done .

Hey There Guys!
    This is my first post. I am in my late 30's and stumbled across this forum after searching for ways to come off citalopram (I have been on 20 mgs for a year and a half). I have to say after reading so many stories its making think really seriously if coming off is the wrong thing to do. I have tried before but found anxiety levels too hard to bear. When first going on it I had been having the most incredible anxiety attacks - they were a result of a long term load of issues, combined with looking after a family of 2 darling boys, a bereavement and 4 years into re-training studying for a stressful degree and masters without a break. Coupled with money worries and struggling to come to terms with the ending of my previous career in performing I felt lost and really angry. Panic and depression at the same time left me helpless and to be honest citalopram, valium and betablockers combined were the only thing to get me through for a few weeks. I had an amazing supportive doctor (who has left my practice now....boo) who gave me encouragement and helped me start believing things could get better. I dropped the val and beta once the panic had subsided and since then cit has been amazing - I have got married to my partner, completed my studies and am working again. All good. I am also far less of a general stressbag and more able to enjoy the simple things in life again. The only frustration is that my planning skills seem to have really suffered - I am quite forgetful and struggle to stay on top of arrangements (luckily my husband is brilliant at reminding me where and when I am supposed to be!) and during this time my weight has crept up and up - I have gone from a size 8 (5ft 5) to a 12 and have a layer of fat all over my body. I used to be 8 stone 6 ish and am now 9 stone 4lbs. I know its not a huge weight at all - it just sits on me really badly. I go swimming regularly and my work is very physical. It just seems nothing will shift it. SO confused about what to do next - I have read up loads on other options but side effects are horrid to go through from whatever meds you choose - I would love to be med free again but am so scared of going back to my old way of life again..... Do any of you have any thoughts? Apart from not caring about being bigger and buying a whole new wardrobe!! Its really lovely to find somewhere to talk about some of this stuff - sorry for being such a long post!
    Love and hugs

AngelTiger it sounds like you have already come a long way. I don't think I can give advice on stopping cit as I've only just started, but it is encouraging that it has worked so well for you. I would not worry about your size my wife is a similar size and she looks great, being happy and enjoying life is far more important. Cit is probably one of the safest of the anti-depressants from my research. I lost my appetite and 1.5 stones during the first year I had anxiety and have only recently recovered my lost weight. Do you think that when you feel better you eat better, I certainly do.

Ah! Thanks for the response! Yes - it does feel like it has been a real journey so far - I would certainly say that Cit has been a positive move and I wouldn't change ever choosing to have gone on it - it pretty much saved me at the time.... As you say perhaps the shift in weight is not that much of a big deal, its just a case of reframing oneself maybe.... Keep us posted about how you get on... If I can offer any useful insight I certainly will!

Day 11, gym this morning then work, a bit less tired today. Don't think I have any side effects now so I think I'll try 15mg tomorrow. My wife accused me of being bi-polar over the weekend as I was singing (out of tune) whilst doing the cooking, well it beats being miserable.

You can,t win with women

I,m off to hide now theres to many of em on here !

Watch yourself Mel! x

Day 12 15mg this morning and also started trying a small amount of inositol. I have no side effects at the moment, if ok on 15mg I think I may as well go for the full 20mg.
    Day 13 15mg + 3g inositol, no side effects.

Yoga tonight - I really recommend Yoga, especially if you can do a late class, we have our class in the dark with candles and it is quite spiritual and relaxing.
    Last edited by oldtime; 23-02-11 at 10:03.

Day 14 20mg, also reduced dosulepin to 35mg + 3mg of inositol.

Had my first panic attack in a month when going to bed, for the first time I managed to relax and let it happen a pounding heart but no fear. Great it only lasted a minute and I didn't feel rough afterwards. Previously I've always felt terrible for a couple of hours after a panic attack.

Hi there

I have been on Cit for about 18 months and have started to come off. I was on 20 mg and cut down to 15 mg for one month and now I have cut it to 10 mg and so far so good! None of the horrible discontinuation problems that people have been talking about. I am going to stick with 10mg for a month and then go down to 5mg. I think the key is to take it very slowly. I feel great. I think the weight thing seems to be a common problem. I lost a stone in 6 weeks when I started having anxiety and depression problems but I have gradually put it all back on and I have the fat layer too! It is hard to shift but I think it may be easier when you are off the drugs.

Cit has been wonderful - it has helped me get back to normal and enjoy my life again.

Best of luck to you coming off!

BJ

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information