Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Treatment Vs That Treatment

This Treatment Vs That Treatment

In light of a few posts made over the last several weeks, something has been on my mind and perhaps it is time I share it with the forum in general.

I think we all have some bias toward whatever has been the greatest help to us individually. I certainly must admit that I do. There is certainly nothing wrong with reporting successes achieved with one method or a combination of methods - in fact, I think it is very important that we do!

At the same time, I think it is important to realize that each of us will respond to some forms of treatment while other treatments leave us with little to no benefit.

One of the great things about this forum is that all of us have the chance to share what helped or is helping us and learn from one another - and also get some ideas of what has not worked for some people.

So by all means, let's sing the praises of whatever treatment has helped us reclaim our lives and minds. But at the same time, let's keep in mind that what helps us as individuals may or may not be the ideal course of action for others, and is not inherently superior to all other treatments.

In other words, let's all think twice before we choose to use verbiage that infers medication, CBT, talk therapy, herbal remedies, or any other treatment for anxiety, panic, depression and the various phobias we each deal with are rubbish in comparison to what we KNOW worked for us.

Perhaps if we can keep that in mind, it will minimize situations in which people are recriminated for supposedly copping out, being blind to "facts", or leaning on others too heavily in their pursuit of recovery.

Re: This Treatment Vs That Treatment

Sounds good to me

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Couldnt have put it better myself ....Sue x

"I think it is important to realize that each of us will respond to some forms of treatment while other treatments leave us with little to no benefit" >mtatum4496

This all sounds very good, but I think the reality of anxiety and panic is slightly different:
    There are basic attributes we all have in common, and there are also causes and effects that are universal, in the same way that each and every one of us will bleed if we cut ourselves. To argue that some people will bleed less or more is neither here nor there, and to say that we all bleed in different colours seems to me somewhat misleading.

What's more, I think this is dangerous, as this attitude tends to give people highly unrealistic expectations, which might only serve the purpose of feeding the reasons why they came down with a mood disorder in the first place. It is ultimately self-defeating.
    One of the basic traits of anxiety and panic are avoidance behaviour and denial, and it's probably not surprising that most anxiety and panic sufferers pass their own avoidance and denial on to others, as this is the only way they know how to deal with things. This naturally leads to a situation of the blind leading the blind, which can't be in anybody's interest. Which is, incidentally, why I think this forum is not working.

If anybody is serious about wanting to get better about their anxiety and panic, and leave it behind, this will only be possible by facing the fear and feeling it. Without this confrontation the inner conflict won't be overcome, and what generally works best in this respect is cognitive behavioural techniques leading to a change of attitude. Because, again, it's the same negative and self-defeating attitudes that have the same negative and self-defeating effect on each and every one of us. All research and statistics conducted over the past few decades corroborates this.

You might not want to hear this, as it's difficult to face one's fears, of course. But blinding oneself to the facts doesn't change anything about the truth of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by European View Post

One of the basic traits of anxiety and panic are avoidance behaviour and denial, and it's probably not surprising that most anxiety and panic sufferers pass their own avoidance and denial on to others, as this is the only way they know how to deal with things.
    I've never really seen anybody on here promote avoidance or denial, just a lot of support for people who are trying to overcome those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by European View Post
    This naturally leads to a situation of the blind leading the blind, which can't be in anybody's interest. Which is, incidentally, why I think this forum is not working.
    As ever, you have to put down other people, insinuate we're all stupid and ignorant and it's only you who knows the right way of dealing with things. If you don't think this forum works, might I suggest you go and start your own?

"I've never really seen anybody on here promote avoidance or denial" >JaneC

No, I don't think you would....

"As ever, you have to put down other people, insinuate we're all stupid and ignorant and it's only you who knows the right way of dealing with things." >JaneC

I think it would be very short sighted to reduce this merely to a matter of opinion. It is considerably more than that, as there are ways of going about things that actually work. Playing this down or diffusing it with some ill advised 'egalitarianism' isn't doing anybody any favours (at least not those who want to genuinely change and improve)!

"If you don't think this forum works, might I suggest you go and start your own?" >JaneC

In other words, critical thinking is taboo and not desired on here. Which would pretty much confirm my misgivings....

I thought this was a public forum, i.e. a meeting place for open discussion?

Jane, don't let European get to you. Unfortunately, I did the other day, but will not do so again. Simply put, I have no intention of wasting any more time attempting to interact with a brick wall, since it only seems to encourage more and more heavy handed responses.

From this point forward, I will simply overlook all his posts. Perhaps if others do the same, he'll either learn how to participate without the need to take pot shots at folks and treatments that don't fit comfortably into his limited world view, or he will find somewhere that is more to his taste.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by mtatum4496 View Post
    Jane, don't let European get to you. Unfortunately, I did the other day, but will not do so again. Simply put, I have no intention of wasting any more time attempting to interact with a brick wall, since it only seems to encourage more and more heavy handed responses.

From this point forward, I will simply overlook all his posts. Perhaps if others do the same, he'll either learn how to participate without the need to take pot shots at folks and treatments that don't fit comfortably into his limited world view, or he will find somewhere that is more to his taste.
    May I suggest the emot wave Mtatum? Brick walls are best ignored unless you have a head-banging fetish.

You have the right attitude - others unfortunately do not.

Ah, here it is...

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by mtatum4496 View Post

I really appreciate that mtatum, thanks and you're absolutely right, tho too late for today . I really didn't drag myself out of bed so I could spend the day being attacked on two fronts so I'm off for now

Ah, yes, the usual suspects are closing ranks again. And in typical bullying form, if you don't have the arguments, make this up by getting the numbers involved in order to shut up who doesn't toe the line. Brick wall, anybody?

Thank you for proving my points!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information