Thread: Any advice for stopping missed beats?

Any advice for stopping missed beats?

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to stop a run of ectopics/missed beats?
    I know about the "coughing hard" one - which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Also, what medication/s do people take instead of propranolol - as this does not really work too well for me.

Thank you.

Re: Any advice for stopping missed beats?

LOng time sufferer of ectopics over 20 yrs. I have found that taking a deep breath and coughing hard is the only way to stop them but sometimes it takes two or three attempts for me.

Saw cardiologist last week re my ectopics and he said that beta blockers of which propananol is one are not very good at stopping ectopics they are primarily used for a very fast heartbeat so this explains why yours don't work very well. He also said that the serious anti arrythmia drugs have nasty side effects and make you much more prone to getting a fatal arrythmia!!! He said that he only prescribes these drugs as a very last resort for ectopics in someone who is literally suicidal and cannot live withe the ectopics as the ectopics in themselves are harmless but he admitted they are horrible to live with.

Hi Countrygirl,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes coughing hard does sometimes stop them - and sometimes doesn't.
    I don't mind the missed beats when they are every 3rd or 5th beat etc. it's just when they are beat,miss,beat,miss and they go on like that for ages - and you start to think they will never stop!

Reading what the cardiologist told you about stonger medication I think I'll steer clear of those!

Try holding your nose and blowing through it so the ears pop - I have no idea if it works but you could try it lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Burping seems to work for some people as well. An everyday remedy is getting a bit more potassium and magnesium in your diet - I used to get ectopics quite a lot, but since I started eating a banana a day, they seem to have decreased a lot.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Nicola: Just tried holding my nose and blowing hard but alas it did not work.

blueangel: Last year I did take magnesium tablets for a month but they made no difference - so I stopped taking them. I will start eating more bananas though and see if that helps.

Hiya...sometimes sipping cold water will help to get them back into rhythm. If they are constant, it may be because they in themselves, or the anxiety they cause are making them continue. Try some relaxation tapes and rhythmic breathing.

Easily said I know, esp when they are continuous

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Try eating red grapes. Works for me. Eat them frequently during the day. Hope this helps.

Try to ignore them and get up and do something else! I'd do anything like drag the kids into the garden and run around with a football. Basically anything to take my mind of it! It would usually work too.

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies.
    I will give them a try.

Thread Information