Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Citalopram

New to Citalopram

Hi Guys,

Well I've had them for 2 weeks and have finally plucked up the courage to take my fist 10mg.

No idea what to expect in the terms of side effects but to be honest its a bit scarey.

How long will it be before I notice any change at all?

Re: New to Citalopram

well done in taking it hun, i did 10mg at first for 2 weeks then gradually up to 30mg, i will be honest the first week or 2 werent much fun..bad headaches and upset tum(take with abiccy or somethinng if u can,i ddint get heightened anx which was wot i was worried about!! but seriously these meds have been my lifesaver so please keep going xx

When I was on them I took 10mg for 3 days before just going up to 20mg. I had no side effects bar hypomania and not needing to sleep. That wasn't the end of the world though.
    It takes about 5-8 weeks for them to have full effect. Everyone reacts differently to any medication so try not to worry too much about what you may have read on here or anywhere else.

You didn't say what you are taking them for, but they did wonders for my anxiety, the bipolar not so much, but anxiety definitely went out the window!

me too, ive been taking 20mg since october last year, and i am kicking myself now for not trying it earlier - i did have side effects but youd get them with alot of meds - my in-laws and husband all take meds that have loads of side effects on their packs - but they dont even worry about them. the effects i had were managable and wore off after 2 weeks - i sleep alot now so that could be a side effect? but if it is its very welcome after years and years of being permanently strung out.

i also didnt have any anx on them, and i felt a difference after about 4 days, but i had a blip after about a month when i thought maybe they werent going to work after all, i mentioned to the doc about upping them to 40mg, but he said just wait and see for a bit longer - so i did and it sorted itself out - he reitterated to me that they arent a magic wand and that you do have to do some work yourself, i also kept reminding myself that even if they only helped me sleep then that was good enough. but they have done loads more than that, i am also happier socially - but really although i still have my moments they are sooooo much easier to cope with - thats what ive found good about them - they help me cope and they have totally chilled me out - i take them with 40mg a day propranolol. so good luck with them i hope they work for you and you feel better soon

I've been on 20mg for 4 weeks now. The first three were horrendous. I felt paranoid, tired, sick and felt really scared I could feel so bad. However, I woke up a few mornings ago and felt a lot more together. Still haven't got my appetite back - the smell of cooking makes me want to throw up - and I am still a bit dopey, but I am quickly becoming more able to do things I couldn't have done a few weeks ago. Interestingly, and sorry to to be honest here, I am now able to go to the loo every day. I have spent a lifetime of being constipated, but now I'm feeling a lot less stressed. Possibly shows what damage stress and worry can do to your body.

I didn't know until I started that loads of my friends were taking it too, and they all say how much better they felt once they got over the varying and (for me at least) dreadful side-effects. Stick with it, it is, so far, one of the best thngs I've done. I know what what's been worrying me, so counselling would not have helped. I just have to plough on and "cross" things off the list, and I'm going to get there. x

VicW how are you getting on?
    I started on Cit recently too and am googling for other new users to share experiences! :-) x

Quote Originally Posted by vicw View Post
    Hi Guys,

Well I've had them for 2 weeks and have finally plucked up the courage to take my fist 10mg.

No idea what to expect in the terms of side effects but to be honest its a bit scarey.

How long will it be before I notice any change at all?
    Could take anything from 2-6 weeks. You may or may not get side effects but do stick with it for at least a month, to give it a chance to settle into your system. That dose may be okay for you but if you need to change it, your GP will advise you. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Unhappy Re: New to Citalopram

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. About two hours after taking my first tablet I felt sickly and a bit nervy. I didn't sleep very well all night, tossing and turning a lot. I am taking them for anxiety and hope they will help me sleep soon.

Ive just taken my second one now and once again the sickly feeling has returned and I cant face food and my mouth is very dry. Hopefully this will pass and I just keep reminding myself of the longer outcome.

Hi Jenbo,

Hows it going? Are you suffering any side effects or managing ok? Just out of interest what time do you take you tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by vicw View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. About two hours after taking my first tablet I felt sickly and a bit nervy. I didn't sleep very well all night, tossing and turning a lot. I am taking them for anxiety and hope they will help me sleep soon.

Ive just taken my second one now and once again the sickly feeling has returned and I cant face food and my mouth is very dry. Hopefully this will pass and I just keep reminding myself of the longer outcome.
    I had no appetite for 2 weeks and had trouble sleeping, whereas some people are fine. It passed but you will have to weather the storm. xx

Anthony J. D'Angelo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information