Thread: Anxiety Affecting Work !

Anxiety Affecting Work !

In my job I frequently attend meetings. In my line of work (dont know if this is normal) its the people who speak up (sometimes bull****) who are held in high esteem. When my anxiety levels are high (always at meetings) I become very internalised, nausiated, feel sick (vomity), and when I finally open my mouth I literally loose my trail of thought and forget what Im saying sometimes. Its quite comical when you think about it! -

Boss - "What do you think about the new strategy Paul?"

Me- deepbreath, massive nausia, all heads turn and face me, feel sick, open my mouth and say "errrmm, yeps sound ok to me!" hoping that will do and that people just think Im quiet.

It even happens on teleconferences. I have started writing things down! I must be the only one that sounds like he is reading a story book to his colleagues. Anxiety is frustrating and incredibly powerful I do remain faithful in the power of the mind and have had some truely amazing experiences with breathing techniques.

Can anybody relate to this or offer their insights into ways of combating these embarassing situations?

Many thanks to all for reading and any feedback. This is a good place

Paul

Just read your post but not sure whether I can offer any good advice. It did remind me of a good friend who suffered the same kind of thing but his was due to a build of of stress and pressure at work which finally came to a head. He really was not happy doing the job he was and was forced to admit this when he became ill. Unfortunately his way forward was to change his job, which I know is a bit drastic and I dont know your circumstances.

Perhaps you could have a quiet word with your boss and tell him that you are suffering from anxiety and I'm sure that he will help you in some way. Maybe lay off a bit in the meetings etc. My friend's employers were brilliant with him and eventually arranged another job for him within the company.

Sorry I could not be more helpful but I just wanted to reply.

I wish you well.

Hi Paul

Can totally relate to this, when put in meetings or group discussions I go to pieces-mine is due to low self esteem and social phobia which brings on panic attacks bad. I can never think of anything to say when put in this situation and i feel trapped and a wave of dread comes over me, my voice trembles and everyone looks at me and i think god everyone can notice.....for example the other week we were in a group and we were asked to talk about ourselves, I just mumbled my name age and said that....everyone else talked for ages and ages about themselves.... i thought god i must look so boring!! but inside i have so much i want to say-makes me feel alone sometimes :0( K

hi there,
    i totally empathise with how you are feeling. in my last job (which i quit partly because of anxiety/panic) i only had to attend one meeting a week and was rarely called upon to talk, but still dreaded it every time.
    switching jobs is obviously an option (a bit drastic as LT says!). is there any way you can plan ahead for any of the meetings? if you had an opinion or idea that you could write down and then be prepared to discuss when asked to talk? or, another good trick is to ask lots of questions. that way, the onus is not on you but on the person answering the question. it also makes you look like someone who has spoken up and contributed to the meeting.
    just a thought!
    take care
    henri

Hello Paul - I know just how you feel, I'm a teacher and have to attend lots of meetiings, after the christmas holidays my anxiety was high and I panicked in the meetings - very dizzy, sweaty, tense, wanting to run out. I spoke to my head and most of my colleagues and they were great and supportive. I actualy stopped going to the meetings for a while. Then I met with a CBT therapist and he said not going to the meetings was the worse thing i could do as i was feeding the fear. I started going again, but just for half an hour and have gradually built up to the full meeting time. The therapist also said not to leave when you're feeling panicky, but work through it (easier said than done I know!!) and leave when you feel calm again. It helped that my friends at work knew because i knew they were there to support me when i managed a meeting!! It seems to be working, but I've yet to tackle a meeting in a different school with people i don't know!!
    Explain your situation to your boss and friends at work, i'm sure they'll support you and help you all they can.
    Take Care
    Love Helen

Paul,

I can totally realte. I remember in college the worst class I had to take was a speech class, I would get sick before each class. You might consider group counseling sessions. This way you would get counseling where in very small groups you would need to talk in front of others and slowly obtain ways to overcome this in front of others who have the same problem. You build yourself up while helping other people.

Bel

I get anxious at work too, I'm a nurse and have to communicate with all kinds of fellow professionals including doctors. I find ward rounds and handovers quite nerve racking sometimes but the best thing is to just tell yourself you can do it and just do it. You'll feel anxious at the time but after you will feel a sense of achievement.

hi everyone

I am suffering from anxiety right this second.
    I cant seem to get it off my head

I have this gut wrenching feeling and it wont stop,

The reason why im feeling like this is bcoz i fear my GF is annoyed with me.

Please help

Glenn

Thanks to all, Yet again this place proves that "WE" are not alone In a strange kinda hippy type way I feel connected with you all and wish you all the best with your similar problems! Love to you all

Paul

Thread Information