Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much damage could I do?

How much damage could I do?

Recently discovered cocodamol 8/500 kind of relaxes my brain a little. The last few days I have taken 160 tablets to try to reduce my brain strain. It sort of helps, infact I'm taking about 10 at a time and for about 2 or 3 hours I function well. Obvious downsides are the damage I'm doing to my liver. I know the codeine won't be doing damage at that dose but the paracetamol might be.
    It is obviously a large amount according to the directions, but in reality, is it THAT dangerous?

Re: How much damage could I do?

Yes, it really is that dangerous. My fiance tried to OD on those and only took 40, she now has 1 and a half kidneys.

Stop NOW.

What, That much damage from just 40pills?
    Did they say that the damage was caused by the OD or were there other contributing factors?

What on earth possessed you to take so many over a short period of time - it is seriously dangerous to take so many.

Suggest you seek urgent medical advice and STOP TAKING ANYMORE!

10 at a time is definitely going to damage you - once your kidneys are affected there is no going back.

Have you any idea how silly it is to take these pills like sweeties?

I am seriously concerned for your well being.

Well, like I say, anything to help, short or long term. I don't feel any pain, but will reconsider.And being over the counter seems to add a safety margin to it.

With co codamol the maximum dose in 24 hours is 8 tablets, and that means 2 at a time spread out, not all at once.

You may be able to get them over the counter, but no pharmacy will sell you more than one pack of 32 at a time, and even then they warn you not to take ANY other paracetamol with them !

Dont take anymore, and get in touch with your GP straight away.

The brain relaxation will be from the codeine, but to take enough from cocodamol to have that effect you are taking huge amounts of paracetamol that can and will cause lasting damage to your kidneys.

Dear Scrubmuncher.

Paracetamol really is that dangerous!

The substance was approved for use a very long time ago when rules were less stringent, if it had been subjected for approval in the 21st century, it would never have been passed for general use, much less for over the counter.

The therapeutic interval is very small, meaning that just doubling or tripling the dosage can in individual cases, result in terminal liver damage. Simultaneously ingesting alcohol or other medication that take up part of the liver's ability to metabolize this paracetamol increase the risk drastically. And the liverdamage caused by overdosing paracetamol is irreversible and can lead to death unless you are lucky enough to get a liver transplant before it is too late.

If you really have taken as many as 160tablets in a couple of days, this could be a lethal dose. Even if you stop now, the damage can build up over days and/or weeks and eventually result in death. Luckily, there might still be time enough to reverse the damage. The antidote is intravenous acetylcystein which is completely harmless and easy to administrate once you get into contact with healthcare professionals.

Do not wait! Find a doctor and be honest about your intake! Google paracetamol overdose if you do not believe me. Codein is bad for you, and strongly addictive, but it is not the immediate problem here. The paracetamol is, and this could be very serious and cause you irreparable harm!

Noone here knows me, but I am a medical doctor suffering from anxiety and depression. I've been lurking for months but never posted, but reading this story made me go ahead and register so I could post this.

I am sorry if this reply is out of line or offends or upsets people, but I felt it had to be said. Paracetamol is potential lethal and time is of essence if you overdose it! Stop taking it immediately and seek medical help.

Cold M.D

Scrubmuncher,

I would seriously listen to the wise words being said here especially from Cold, you should seek help before things get worse.

Self medicating in this way is far too dangerous.

di xx

I have found that taking a couple of 30/500 co-codimols helps me a lot but the doctor won't prescibe them because they are addictive.

Its not so much the codine that is the problem it is the amount of paracetamol. Now whilst I don't always stick to instuctions of a product as they are usually there as a safeguard and taking a few over occasionally isn't going to do any harm, the amount you are taking is a lot. The LD50 of paracetamol is 150mg per KG of body weight. LD50 means the amount of a substance required to kill half a given population. Each pill contains 500mg of paracetamol, so you have taken way over that in the past few days.

If you really have taken 160 pills I would highly recommend you go to hospital. I usually try and calm people on here but I can't just tell you that you will be OK because I think you need medical attention.

If any administrator has a contact number or address for this guy he needs to go to hospital right now.
    Last edited by oldtime; 02-03-11 at 12:42.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information