Thread: telling your employer about your anxiety?

Unhappy telling your employer about your anxiety?

i'm really struggling at the moment.
    i hate my job and it's such a push to get there everyday!

i get terrible anxiety in the morning and have recently had a few days off because of it.

I'm going back into work today (which i'm terrified about!) but i'm not sure whether i need to tell them or not?!

I've got a referral from my GP to a psychiatrist so i'm going to be needing the odd day of here and there!

Has anyone else told their employer? They're a big corporate company so i can easily be replaced

don't know what to do!

Re: telling your employer about your anxiety?

Yes I told my employers.
    They were 2 women that ran a community care agency.
    The younger one who was my sons age looked at me as tho I was some kind of nutcase but the older one who was older than me was very very understanding and told me that she had a friend who also suffered with anxiety.
    My so called workmates who were only used to the Lynn that was constantly telling jokes, laughing, outgoing and full of confidence avoided me like I had leprosy!
    Thing is I worked for that agency for almost longer than anyone and was always willing to cover extra calls.
    Also I think the cause of my panic attacks/anxiety was my job.
    My advice to you would be if you think your employers would be understanding and supportive tell them.
    Good luck and keep us informed how it goes.
    Last edited by Granny Primark; 03-03-11 at 08:43.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Good advice from Lynn here. Also the other thing I would suggest is that if you do tell them, remind them gently that a lot of people suffer with anxiety and it's a very common condition. Also say that you're working your way through it but that you might need a bit of extra support or space.

Good luck.

I dunno, there is a big problem at the moment with every jack and jim on the dole is claiming disability as it is so easy as it is not easy to prove otherwise, abusing the system and making life more difficult for those genuine cases. Employers may be more on it as it is a big topic these days. You are the best judge, and it will depend if you are an important cog in the wheel, take lots of time out and you might end up with more stress to panic about. Good luck.

My employers were very supportive overall. Again some people more than others. Not everyone understands but they won't in any walk of life. I actually found a number of people at work who also suffered or had family members who suffered. Sometimes when you come out of the anxiety closet its amazing how many people do also.

I think if you don't tell them (regardless of their reaction) you are just putting yourself under more pressure. You may end up lying to them aswell just to try and cover up. At least if they know, you can be honest.

Employment law in this country is in your favour. x

I recently told my employer and it really was the best decission I ever made.
    He does not understand the whole scenario but he understands im not myself and if i need time to myself he will give me it.

This has helped me so much as I used to get myself in such a state about coming to work whereas now i know he knows how I am feeling I am alot more relaxed.

I would say definatly speak to your employer whether they understand or not as it will instantly releive some of your symptoms.

x

Quote Originally Posted by Aimz View Post
    I recently told my employer and it really was the best decission I ever made.
    He does not understand the whole scenario but he understands im not myself and if i need time to myself he will give me it.

This has helped me so much as I used to get myself in such a state about coming to work whereas now i know he knows how I am feeling I am alot more relaxed.

I would say definatly speak to your employer whether they understand or not as it will instantly releive some of your symptoms.

x

I can only echo this. My employer has been brilliant since I told them of my problems with anxiety.

Thread Information