Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If your English please read!

If your English please read!

As of next month if you live in Scotland you get free prescriptions.
    Wales and also N Ireland already get them.
    If you live in Scotland you also get free parking at hospitals and also free tuition at uni.
    Ive got nothing against the Scots, Welsh or Irish.
    We are all British.
    But I think its totally unfair that us English have to pay.
    Ive recently paid £7.25 for 6 antibiotic tabs, £7.25 for an antiseptic throat spray and £7.25 for co codamol. The relief doc never told me that I could have bought the 2 latter items over the counter cheaper.
    I personally think that we all should pay something for prescriptions so that the money made goes to what isnt the best health service at the moment.

Opinions wanted please.
    Last edited by Granny Primark; 04-03-11 at 07:27. Reason: typed something wrong

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

Re: If your English please read!

we had to fight to get free parking back in the hospital grounds, but only for few hours, after that you pay. the best time to park your car in the hospital is after 4pm. no one checks the cars after that. dont get free tution at uni, I wish. not where I stay, in scotland. my daughter has to apply for a loan for her tution fees,

Its down to politics i'm afarid you get what you vote for !!!!
    In Scotland Wales and NI there are different people making the decisions What is needed is a Parliament for England.

I really dont begrudge others especially not my fellow Brits.
    But even Dr Hilary Jones on Daybreak said its very unfair.

you need a bog roll. lol

I'm an english chick living in scotland, whilst the current situation is pretty good where I am, I am not convinced it will last.

The principal is great, and you are right to feel short changed. I am not sure though that the Scottish government can realistically sustain it. Dont forget its election year for us and Mr Salmond is making great promises to stay in government.

Certainly in the Highlands we are taking some big job losses. RAF Kinloss closes at the end of July which is just dreadful, and if as I fear Mr Cameron is going to close Lossiemouth too, there will be very little employment between Inverness and Aberdeen. Many local communities will struggle to cope.

Don't be fooled Sweetie we are all going to have much tougher times to come!

Sorry if this sounds depressing, just realistic.

We'll keep smiling no matter what!x

Quote Originally Posted by ditzygirl View Post
    Certainly in the Highlands we are taking some big job losses. RAF Kinloss closes at the end of July which is just dreadful, and if as I fear Mr Cameron is going to close Lossiemouth too, there will be very little employment between Inverness and Aberdeen. Many local communities will struggle to cope.
    Agreed on the Lossie thing - I've got relatives living and working up in Lossie, my aunty works on the camp and they're worried as to what will happen - jobs all over Scotland seem to be few and far between right now! Where about in the highlands do you stay, my whole family's from up Inverness way? x
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Weve also got the same problems regarding work.
    Where I live in stoke on trent we used to have a thriving pottery industry.
    Almost everyone has heard of Royal Doulton.
    The factory has now been demolished.
    I certainly didnt put on this post to offend anyone.
    I was curious if there was other English people who felt the same.
    I have taken blood pressure tabs since I was 30 and im 56. I take 3 different ones a day and will be taking them forever.
    It works out very expensive over 12 months. Luckily I get a prepayment card which helps save me some money.
    Ive heard my some of my friends say that they cant afford be ill and go the docs cus of the huge prescription charges.
    At the mo I take 9 different tabs a day and the doc only gives me 2 months supply at a time.
    Im not working and I claim DLA ( I think its about £17) for a neck injury.
    Ive always worked full time up intil 5 years ago.
    DLA doesnt allow you to get any other benefits.
    Im only too happy to pay for prescriptions if they charged less for things that literally do not cost £7.25 to manufacture.
    I must say im curious when none of you English havent posted to agree with me over this.
    Surely there are others like me who share my opinion.
    Or is granny primark just a whinging old biddy?
    On second thoughts no one answer that question

you need a bog roll. lol

Hi Lynn I totally agree with you the charges are far to high Like you I have heard my Grandaughter say she finds going to the Gp expensive if she is given a Script for a couple of items she sometimes asks the Pharmacy if it is cheaper for her to purchase a substitute rather than get the GP precription .

Myself I am excempt ( OAP ) but can seriously understand peoples reluctance to visit Gp but just ask the Pharmasist for a Cheaper option if this is appropriate .
    Obviously for long term treatmants a Annual card would be a cheaper option ?? i think

Also just heard on the news Charges going up in April ? not sure how much .
    PS Hun hope you are continuing to feel better

I totally agree with you, Lynn! You are not a whinging old biddy either! I had not read your post before until just now.
    I was just writing a similar post about prescription charges - have now just deleted after reading yours.
    I don't mind paying for my prescriptions but as of this April they rise in England to £7.40 an item. It is too high a charge I feel.
    Why is it that in Ireland and Wales the prescriptions are free and in Scotland they are being scrapped. Why can't we follow?
    Your post was spot on and I completely agree with what you wrote!
    What makes me mad is that this country gives loads in foreign aid, and is also giving up to £250 a week to migrants from Eastern European countries - thanks to the EU rulings - and yet British people seem to be having money taken from them!!!
    Ok my rant over!
    Last edited by PoppyC; 04-03-11 at 12:47.

I think it's shocking that the few of us have to pay for the many that get free prescriptions. I've always thought that EVERYONE should pay £1 per prescription to make a fair system. It's always wise to ask the chemist beforehand if they can be bought cheaper over the counter, I'm lucky to have a pharmacist who would tell me anyway.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information