Thread: 2nd day on 30mg Mirtazapine

Post 2nd day on 30mg Mirtazapine

I tried 15mgof Mirtazapine last year but stopped it after 2 weeks as I was eating all the time and felt really tired but couldn't sleep. My Dr said the other GP who prescribed it me should have gone straight in at 15mg as that low a dose has the worst side effects and doesn't help anxiety and depression so she suggested 30mg which I reluctantly agreed to try.

I have taken 2 so far. My sleep before this was terrible, I would go to sleep but wake up loads with obsessive thoughts and couldn't go back to sleep. Was averaging around 5 hours of interuppted sleep a night. The last 2 nights I have slept around 10 hours which is great but I now can't out of bed as I am so tired. Got up at 10.30am this morning and have been really tired all day. That is the only side effect so far.

I am worried about the weight gain thing though, I am 5ft 9 and am supposed to weigh anything from 9st 12 to 12st 2. I have been on a diet and am now at my ideal weight of 10st 6. I really don't want to put weight on as this would depress me. Is it purely the overeating that makes you put weight on or is it the tablet itself? If it's the tablet and not what I eat then I will have to stop taking it because i I put weight on after working so hard at maintaining it for well over a year I would be gutted. I am going on my first ever holiday in June to New York and am really wanting to stay trim for then. Can anyone offer any advice on the weight gain and if it is purely what you eat on it?
    Last edited by Cat80; 06-03-11 at 17:27.

Re: 2nd day on 30mg Mirtazapine

Hi i am on 15mg Mirtazapine and i'd say it increases your appetite mases so i'd say it's will power that will stop you putting on weight, i read the wiki info on the net, they give this drug to annorexic's, do u get vivd dreams?, i know what you mean about tiredness feel like a lump of lead in the morning, think i might take it during the Day about 8am rather than 8pm

Dear Cat I have been taking mirtazapine for two years now and haved found it very helpful in alleviating my depression. I take 45mg at night. The daytime sleepiness should decrease after two to four weeks. Mirtazapine will increase your appetite for sweet and sugary foods. It was devised as an appetite stimulant for anorexics. You can control your weight but it will be hard. It has nothing to do with will power. If you exercise and eat low fat foods and fruit you might be able to slow the weight gain down. Some people have put on a lot of weight whilst being on mirtazapine. I am five pounds within my goal weight but I do work at it. It is not reccomended to take mirtazapine during the day because of its sedative properties. I would suggest that Kite has a chat with his\her doctor. I would concentrate on getting well at this stage in your illness and worry less about the weight gain. This in my experience does level out. You might initially put on weight and lose it later on (as I have done both on and off mirtazapine) Best wishes. EJ.

Vivid dreams are also a known side effect and nothing to worry about. This should settle as your body gets used to the drug. EJ.

Thank you both for your replies.

I am going to stick to 1300 calories a day as I am wanting to lose another 6lbs before my first ever holiday in June. I am hoping this will stop me putting any weight on. I will ignore the cravings as I have just bought my clothes in a size 10 and I don't want to waste money. Putting weight on in all honesty would depress me more and not help my mind. Hopefully the only thing that makes you put weight on while taking Mirtazapine is the fact you eat more, I'm really hoping it's not just the tablet itself that makes you gain weight even if you eat really healthily.

On day 3 now and so far just the tiredness and the foggy head, haven't left the house since I started it as feel too spaced out. Hopefully this will ease as have a trip in town on Wednesday.

Going to keep weighing myself and if my weight starts to creep up I will stop the meds as getting better is a major thing for me but my weight is just as big a problem as I have very very low self esteem about my appearance so putting weight on would make me depressed anyway

Thread Information