Thread: Any advice / weight gain counter productive

Any advice / weight gain counter productive

Started taking Citalopram 3 weeks ago and started sleeping better and became less irratable after only a few days. Apetite came back within 2 days, but uncontrollably and I was eating all the time and within 2 weeks Id put on 1/2 stone.

Id preivously lost 6 stone and go to the gym several times a week. The tablets seemed to zap my energy/desire to goto the gym too. So for me it seemed like a solution for sleep and irratibility/mood/ but then I got down over the eating/weight situation.

I was on 20mg a day.

Does anyone think/found a difference with a different SRRI or dosage? At the moment I am getting depressed one way or the other..

Re: Any advice / weight gain counter productive

It had the complete opposite effect on me i just couldnt look at a plate of food and lost 10lbs in 2 months at 20mg a day i upped my dossage to 30mg and after 3 weeks my appitite came back and i felt better..

Are you the type of person who eats more when your stressed? My therapist told me that some people can't eat when they feel stressed and anxious (im like this), and some people cant stop eating..

i wonder if there is a link between people eating habits on citalopram and eating habits when stressed?

Quote Originally Posted by yo1 View Post
    Started taking Citalopram 3 weeks ago and started sleeping better and became less irratable after only a few days. Apetite came back within 2 days, but uncontrollably and I was eating all the time and within 2 weeks Id put on 1/2 stone.

Id preivously lost 6 stone and go to the gym several times a week. The tablets seemed to zap my energy/desire to goto the gym too. So for me it seemed like a solution for sleep and irratibility/mood/ but then I got down over the eating/weight situation.

I was on 20mg a day.

Does anyone think/found a difference with a different SRRI or dosage? At the moment I am getting depressed one way or the other..

I lost weight for the first 6 weeks on it. I plummeted to 7stone 3lbs . Once it gets stable it will usually increase appetite for carbs and sweet things .I never had a problem for over a year and stayed a my average weight of 8st 5lbs .Since I have reduced I have piled on over a stone .My eating habits are the same so I cant really undrstand it .I eat healthily but occassionally have a treat .It does slow you down and also your metabolism ,But this can be changed by lots of regular excercise ,something im doing .Ive managed to loose 2lbs since christmas ..Its no good getting depressed over it ,If it helps you and you try to watch what you eat and excercise Im sure you will still be ok ,be it a stone heavier .But it does come off when you stop taking them .Your mental health is the priority at this moment in time .You arent alone, its just one of those things ..Sue x

Thanks for the comments and advice. It very difficult to work out as of course I had lost appetite before so a gain in appetite is good but just strange how it seems to add weight on and lots of people seem to get the same.

At 20mg I have some benefits here, I think I could be even better depression wise with an increased dosage as I dont suffer any other side effects luckily; or to swtich to another tablet.

Has anyone had weight gain on one SRRI and not on another?

Thanks for reading.

Thread Information