Thread: Home alone - anyone else like this?

Home alone - anyone else like this?

I like to think I'm alright with groups of people, but being home alone is something I can't stand.

It's just me and my mum at home, we're really close, always eat dinner together and talk, but she's away on holiday till next Monday. The house has a totally different atmosphere, and as childish as it sounds, I'm missing her quite a bit!

I feel like my appetite has dropped and I'm feeling quite upset about it. Anyone else get like this when they're left alone? I feel like I should 'man up' as I'm hardly a baby, but why cant I help feeling like this?

Re: Home alone - anyone else like this?

hiya,

i also feel like this, i even feel like it when i try and go outside. im not surprised ur upset, i would be too. have you got a friend or someone that could come and be with you? x

I live with my grandparents and we're all very close too. They go away quite often and I get the same! I hardly eat, sleep on the sofa with the tv on and feel rather lost and scared without them. I usually get a friend to stay over whilst they're away. Sounds rather childish now that I say it but I can't seem to help myself!

Shinder, I'm exactly the same, my appetites been shot lately, this time last week it was totally different although today I managed breakfast, lunch and dinner! also sleep with the TV on if I'm home alone, usually BBC news, kinda comforting to know someone else does the same!

I've not seen anyone, but tomorrow I'm staying over at my sisters and on Thursday my girlfriends coming over so thats something to look forward too just feel horrible about leaving the dog! Just want this week to go really quickly, the house feels so empty.

It's weird, but I don't feel anxious or worried or anything, but its just lurking in the background, the whole thing of having nobody home etc.

Hi Ace
    I can understand how you feel.
    My partner often spends frequent long periods of time away with his job, and so I am often at home alone. I do work from home, and I have agoraphobia - but still try and get out.
    I find the atmosphere changes when he is not here, and I find it hard to relax. I don't sleep well and I hardly eat anything. My anxiety gets worse and I find the whole thing depressing after a while.
    He is away soon for a month, which I am not looking forward to, but it is his career, so I cannot ask him to give it up.
    I find that having pets help, having music on, or the television on in the background, watching favourite programmes, reading, being online, as well as working and keeping occupied with any interests, does help. Could you get out or have friends over, if you have any? Going just out for a walk helps too.
    At least you are going over to your sisters and seeing your girlfriend too. That should help how you are feeling.
    Who is caring for the dog?
    Last edited by PoppyC; 09-03-11 at 17:00.

Ace
    I hate being alone. Don't cook for myself. Can't do anything for more than a few minutes without getting restless and giving up.

Encouragement for you - my best mate has no anxiety or panic issues at all and he also hates being alone. Some love it, some don't. Not a product of anxiety, but can be a trigger.

Great thing about nmp is you have like-minded buddies to talk with anytime.

Hang in there.
    Chris

I can understand where you are coming from as I used to be like this, I hated being alone, but, since I met my ex and then my ex husband who were both addicts and physically and mentally abused me I now live alone and am happy to. In fact I hate anyone to be in my flat, as its not a total tip, its shall I say lived in LOL, and as I am I can just slop around in my pj's if I want and I eat when and if I want, cook or not. I put it down to the fact that my two last relationships I did actually spend a lot of time on my own as they were both out doing whatever they did and neither of them liked me to have any friends from their circles which was no bad thing looking back at it as OK yes I too am an addict, but since my ex husband went to prison I have been in recovery, in fact I got clean while my husband was still here thinking about it he told me he was not using, but I knew he was I just didnt want to start problems with arguements etc so I kept quiet, until one day I was in the bedroom, which was where I spent most of my time when his friends were here, and I came in to make a coffee and caught him injecting himself, so he couldnt really get out of that one, and about 6 months later he was arrested for trafficking and that was it, I was on my own, clean, had no friends, just my daughter who I had a lot of bridges to build with.
    We seperated, and since then I have been on my own, I am not interested in any sort of relationship, and up until around October last year I was doing OK, not working as I was on Methadone and was suffering with depression, and anxiety, but I was starting to detox of the methadone. But gradually I started to get agorapobic and really bad panic attacks but I didnt want to admit to it, so I persevered with it until just after Xmas this year when I got to the point that leaving the flat was just nigh on impossible without my daughter unless it was to pick up my script just up the road. I realised from speaking to a friend who had suffered with similar problems that she was now totally housebound as she didnt get help soon enough, so I spoke to my key worker and she got me in to see the Psychiatrist in a couple of weeks. I am now, agoraphobic, but pretty much the same as I was but no worse thank heavens, and I have GAD and suffer bad panic attacks. Fortunately the depression doesnt seem to be around, I am trying to think positively when I can (see my other posts). Anyway I have digressed from the actual subject
    I am still very much one for being alone, and to be honest I dont think that will change, although I hope maybe one day feel able to have visitors, but as for a partner and having someone live here, hmmmm I cant see it some how!!!!
    Anyway, the point of my post, - no believe it or not its not just an excuse for me to rant away LOL - its strange how circumstances can change you from a sociable being to a practical hermit, yes I get lonely, and thats why my pc is something that I would die I think if I didnt have along with my phone, mobile and landline so there is always someone I can contact if I need to. But as I said initially I can understand both ways of being, now. My fears of being alone, when I was younger, and in fact I am ashamed to say I used to go to the pub rather than be in on my own and when my children were teenagers and the partner I was with at the time - this was b4 I got involved with the drug users (my black years)- used to work till around 9pm, once I came home from work at 5pm, my kids were out, so I went straight to the pub rather than sit at home on my own. What a difference 10 years make!!!!!

I can fully relate to this thread. Whilst i treasure my space there are times that i would rather go 50 miles out of my way on the way home from work than go home to an empty house. Might be a bit raw at the moment as my partner left me recently due to my illness but i can remember before i was with her having every door open in the summer time just so i could see a human go past the house.
    Sad i know but i find when i'm really down that isolation ferments the loneliness...
    But hey i have found some good peaople on here and i get given the key to the chatrooms tomorrow so hope to catch up with you al there.. Toodles

I don't mind being alone for a short period of time but if my family went away on holiday without me and I was left alone in the house, I would definitely feel the same!

Thread Information