Thread: Scared and have been referred

Scared and have been referred

Hi Everyone

For anyone who has read my numerous posts you will know I am going through a tough time with Death & Health anxiety along with Days filled with Panic attacks, I cant stick with any meds coz of side effect worries so have gone back to my doctors Today, I arrived in floods or tears in an awful state (we convinved I was heading to a mental home!) and she has referred me to a Phyciatrist, Had anyone else here been to one and does this mean I have a severe mental illness as my Doc says she has tried all she can for me?? I dread sleeping as contstantly awake in state of fear, have ordered a Claire Weeks book today and am hoping to get some comfort from this

Any tips for survial until this appointment comes through and what will happen to me at the appointment? I am Scared big time,
    Wendy xx

Hi Nigel

Thank you for your reply, Has made me feel better and your right I will look at it as a possitive, just the thought that scared me , thought Id moved on to a different level! Would love to start cbt everyone talks so highly about it

Thanks again

Wendy

Hi Wendy, You are lucky really your doc has referred you; you will most likely get more help there. And no you are not mental or having a breakdown, I have suffered on and off for years and got sent to se a psychiatrist about 18 months ago, they only had a chat and asked if I would like to try an antidepressant, and probs some self help group in your aria, If you are lucky they might even give you a mental health Nurse who you can visit and get help from. But you don’t need to do anything you don’t want to. Take care. Vernon

Hi Wendy

Ditto to what has been said above.

Please don't worry. Last year when my gp said she would have to refer me to a psychiatrist (I was in Seroxat withdrawal at the time and couldn't stop crying) I nearly fell off the chair. My imagination went wild - I saw vividly men in white coats and straight jackets in hand coming to get me.

As it's been said above, gp's are just that - general practitioners. A psychiatrist is called upon normally (I think) to sort out medication - which medication is right for the patient etc. A psychiatrist is an expert in the anti depressant field.

I have seen three psychiatrists since last year - they have been locums because this borough is short of psychs. They have been nice understanding people, and have monitored my progress on the medication.

You'll be fine. Anyway, take care.

Yvonne

Y Goble

Wendy

I can vouch that it will help being referred, when I was bad I was reffered to the crisis unit (was sucidal at the time) under a trick cyclist. I havent looked back since, the opportunity to talk through my problems really helped. I had the time out (felt as though someone was helping at last) ti re-think my life. The few weeks i spent as an out patient were the turning point for me, I noe consider myself cured

Keith

Thank you all for replying to this post and giving me reassurance, I had my emergency appointment with the crisis team this evening and I was like a breath of fresh air, at last people who listened to me and did not just pass me off with yet another brand of Anti-D, The nurse had experienced Panic attacks and High anxiety for 12 months and he is going to me my contact - I know I have a long way to go but feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders already, Please anyone who reads this and is scared do not be, These people could not be further than the stereo type you were all so right! Heres hoping to the start of recovery xx

Hi Wendy

Please dont worry, I was referred to a psychiatrist and received excellent help. Apart from medication, I attended various classes such as Self Esteem, Anxiety Management and Assertiveness which all helped me greatly. I also received CBT and I saw a mental health nurse each week which helped me to talk through my issues and work towards getting better in a structured manner. Look on it as a positive step forward and they will help you receive the treatments that is right for you.

Take care

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Thread Information