Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to amitriptyline

New to amitriptyline

Hi

Just looking for a push in the right direction. Have had a prescription of 10mg amitrip in my drawer for 3 weeks and too scared to start on them. The story is i was on citalopram 2 yrs ago for depression and had a horrendous time, stuck with them for 6 months then decided enough was enough and came off them, definitely felt better without them in my system which totally defeats the purpose. Anyway although i have been med free for 18 mths i have never felt back to my old self and over the last few months have increasingly been feeling depressed, low and anxious, i have developed psorasis which i have never had in my life before and my gp seems to think its stress related so prescribed me 10mg amitrip but after my last experience with citalopram i am so scared to take them but at the same time i am desperate to get some balance back in my life, any advice would be appreciated xx

Re: New to amitriptyline

I have 10mg of Ami at night, to help with pain and sleeping and slight anxiety. I have no side effects and sleep well.

It's a very low dose, you have nothing to lose.

Thanks for your reply, i decided to take half a tab last night and lay awake half the night panicing i know this was just me being stupid and nothing to do with the meds so going to try 10mg tonight xx

It really is a low dose, I'm sure you will be OK. Let us know how you get on. Take care.

Hi, I have been on Amitriptyline for a year now at 10mg and my experience has been mostly positive (although not all). I had never had meds before in my life but have suffered with generalised anxiety & panic attacks for about 13 years. when I finaly plucked up the courage to go to my GP he put me on 10mg Ami. The first 2-3 weeks were a bit scary as I had a few side effects such as dizzyness and headaches but then followed a sustained period of calm and complete respite from symptoms, it was wonderful.

About 2 months ago I decided to try and come off them and I have to say that didn't go well for me but I am still not sure if this was withdrawal from the meds or just coincided with me being stressed & anxious at work / home. Anyway I am back on 10mg (see my thread on here "my Ami withdrawal") and feel ok (ish).

Hope you get on ok and post or PM if you have any more questions.

Just to add to the "withdrawal" idea; I saw my GP last week and she advised me that my 10mg is too low to have a bad reaction if I stop taking them. I'm 5ft 3" and under 9 stone, so 10mg is the lowest dose for a small person like me. I have missed a tablet on 2 separate occasions when I'm really tired at night and have been fine. It was harder for me to come off caffeine and nicotine and they were both self-inflicted.

I guess everyone reacts their own way but Ami has only been helpful for me with no noticable issues.

Hi
    Thanks u both so much for your reassurance, im on day 3 now and so far so good, fingers crossed it continues. I plucked up the courage to take 10mg last night and intend to continue on this dose for the time being. The one thing i would mention is the headache i had today was severe but managed to shift it with a couple of anadin extras, anyway thanks again it really does help knowing there is support on here, take care xx

Hi, I take 20mg at night for pain...no probs....been told I can go to 30mg if needed. x

I'm glad things are going well Mum to Three, long may it continue and I hope the Ami works out for you. As I said it worked very well for me for almost the whole of last year. Hazel, you're probably right, the more I think about it my issues on withdrawal were prob down to me not the meds. 10mg is v low dose and I am 6ft 4" and 13 stone so it probably doesn't even touch the sides LOL.

Well done!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information