Thread: gynae appt

gynae appt

Had my long awaited gynae appt earlier today, about a lump on me girly bits that they were convinced didnt exist, and yes there is a lump, they're going to remove it in hospital in a few weeks, under local anaesthetic. She also checked everything else, as I explained I was problems weeing, she started to ask about neurological issues which got me in a tizz but she did say its unlikely (as it *could* in theory be MS or something), she says when I go to hospital for the operation she'll do a speculum exam as she thinks I might have a prolapse - scary stuff, speculum sounds horrible?! i didn't know you could get prolapses at 19/20? Got to keep a voiding diary for a few days too, not fun!! Not totally sure what prolapses are to be honest but, after the appt I realised when I cough, I can feel something move down there, same happens when I bear down but I don't know if thats just muscles. She said today she couldn't feel anything but she's not 100% convinced that there's nothing wrong, so I'm not sure... have been told I have a BMI of 34 too and blood pressure was high so have to get GP to check it again next week!
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Re: gynae appt

Hi daisycake, a speculum is the instrument they use when you have a smear test (which I suppose you're too young to have had?) Basically they use it to open up your girlie bits, so they can have a look inside If you relax it'll be fine... if you're tense it's just a bit "uncomfortable" It doesn't hurt though... I think she thinks you may have a prolapsed womb? It's quite common :( I guess you need to ask questions, which isn't too easy with your legs spread :(

Prolapsed wombs are very common in older ladies especailly after childbearing! but for various reasons can happen in younsters like yourself. It just means your womb has fallen downwards and could be pressing on your bladder causing you bladder problems but she will be able to see if this is the case during your exam.

HOpe all goes well - with local anaethesia you should not have any pain during the removal although injections can be a bit sore at time of doing them.

Thank you both she said it was some kind of fancy speculum or something (lets her see the "anterior wall"), might ask my GP for advice as I really didn't have a clue what she was talking about. She did offer to remove the lump then and there, but I declined her kind offer - not knowing that having to get it done in the hospital as opposed to the family planning centre means that not only will she be present but so will a couple of nurses, one to hold each side open apparently! Have had a local under my arm before and that was hellishly sore so I can imagine this will be 1000 times worse! Yeah my mum has a prolapse - but she said it was very obvious.. I certainly can't see anything odd at all but maybe this exam will help. Have to start voiding diary tommorow too nothing worse.. especially since I have to measure every single input/output with a jug
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

I would like to add that I don't think this could be a prolapsed womb as that would be right up inside you and wouldn't cause the symptoms you describe. I think if you have a prolapse (which you might not even have) it would be of the vaginal wall. Sometimes the supporting muscles become weak and the vagina can collapse pushing downwards on the area where your urethra is. This might cause some of your symptoms. I doubt very much that you have MS as that would cause a great deal of other symptoms. Please try not to worry.

Yes that's what I think. Maybe TMI but by inserting my finger and bearing down I can feel something like a bag full of water pushing down on my finger. No idea what's going on.. And this flow chart is fascinating to say the least, I have drunk 1100 ml of water today and have only passed about 700/800ml urine since 10pm last night - and even that is only by forcing myself to go, to the point my pelvic floor muscles ache. So not a clue what's going on. Got the dr on Friday but am going to see if I can see someone Monday, am so tired and fed up. Have IBS symptoms too so my mum has suggested the buscopan stuff but too scared to take it!

Thread Information