Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood on toilet paper but not in stool?

Blood on toilet paper but not in stool?

For the past week or so, I've noticed some red blood on my toilet paper after a bowel movement. It's there for the first wipe, maybe a tiny bit on the second, and then it goes away. My stool is normal in color (not black or red) and I haven't noticed anything strange about my bowel movements.

I'm really hoping it's just a fissure because the...ahem, area, is a bit sore after this happens, so maybe it's an issue of the stool being too hard. I recently started on Weight Watchers and started exercising regularly, so I don't know if the change in my diet is to blame. I know another possibility is hemorrhoids, but I'd really like to avoid seeing a doctor unless it's necessary.

I'm a 21 year old female and I weight 137 lbs at 5'5". No bowel issues in my family history.

I'm a self-diagnosed hypochondriac, so I'm trying hard not to freak out about this. I'm trying to focus on the fact that the blood is red, so it's probably not an internal issue like IBS or cancer...right? Oh, and I should probably mention that I had some minor cramping at the beginning of the week, but I figured it was just from missing a birth control pill or two. Not sure if that might be related.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Blood on toilet paper but not in stool?

Sounds like piles/fissures to me

Get the doc to check it out and you can get some cream for it from the chemist

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

If the blood is bright red and your bottom feels a bit sore after going to the toilet I think it's probably a fissure or an internal pile. I would go and see your Dr because they will reassure you plus if you need treatment they can give it to you before the problem gets worse. Don't be embarassed as I think 40% of the population suffer from piles and the Dr will have seen far worse many times before. Good luck and try not to worry.

hi, I get this all the time if I change my diet at all. It may be slight constipation and like the others say fissure/piles. This will actually heal itself, so you don't necessarily need to go the docs if you don't want to. Go along if you feel you need reassurance, though.

Take care

Thanks for the answers. Today I went to the bathroom and there was still blood. It's scary seeing it, so I can't help but be worried. Googling isn't the best thing because I keep coming across colorectal cancer. I'm 21, so I know the odds are in my favor, but my anxiety is getting to me.

I don't want to go to the doctor and go through a colonoscopy or any other test/exam just for them to tell me it's a fissure or a hemorrhoid because I don't have a primary care physician OR health insurance.

My worry is why has it lasted for over a week? It does hurt as I'm going, as if there's a tear or something, and it's sore afterward for a little while and then stops. My mom had a colon cancer scare a few months ago (turned out not to be cancer), so the thought scares me even though my symptom is WAY different than hers (black, narrow stools, chronic constipation, no appetite, fatigue, etc).

I don't recall being constipated, but I do have a habit of pushing pretty hard. I'm not doing that anymore, but the blood is still there more often than not.

So is it normal for a fissure to bleed for over a week? Or a hemorrhoid?

If you get a sharp pain or tearing sensation when you go to the toilet which is followed by spots of blood on the toilet paper then it's more than likely to be a fissure/tear or pile. You can buy creams for this over the counter in the chemist. If you do go to the Dr they will examine you themselves and will only send you for tests if they think there is something wrong OTHER than fissures/piles.

hi sounds like piles or tears to me hun, go to the doctors if worried ... i have tears and piles been like it scince i were 13 yr's of age, after someone forced themselves on me people say forgive and forget but its way too hard i suffer every day and night because of wat happened to me ....

Ive had this happen 3 times in about 18 years.. going through irritation now with it. Somedays all is fine, and that can last 5 or 6 days and then if I feel irritation or a scratchy kind of feel when going to toilet theres a bit of blood on tissue, and is sore a while afterwards have also had couple drops into toilet..I absolutely hate it !!..My previous 2 fissures ( and external and internal piles), were off and on over quite a few weeks. Strange thing is that when my anxiety over it calmed down it just healed up.
    Also my eating pattern changed drastically 12 months ago.

Hi there I have been experiencing abit of blood on the toilet paper when I wipe mh bottom, in fact it was quite a lot and it was bright red I'm quite sure it wasn't in the stool but this has been happening on and off for about 3 weeks now, my bottom is not sore could this be piles ?

Steve, yeah probably just piles or fissure. I had terriblke trouble like that, and I was near a total breakdown (see my thread), but the colonoscopy just showed internal piles and a polyp. Try drinking a lot more water, no alcohol or coffee, more fruit and veg and it should go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information