Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vcjd fear please help

Vcjd fear please help

Hi all, I want to say first off that I know I suffer from anxiety and OCD but I cannot get over the fear of vcjd. I understand that the contaminated beed was fifteen odd years ago but I have researched vcjd alot and cannot find 1 thing to disprove my theory thus easing my fear. Vcjd is caused by abnormal prions (like molecules but tougher than most things). These prions can only be killed at very high temperatures and surgical instruments with them on have to be destroyed as normal cleaning/disinfection/sterilisation has no effect on these prions. The prions were present on the contaminated beef that entered the food chain and I remember as a child eating burgers/sausages which were budget items. I can't see how these super resistant prions can't still be in my house or have been cross contaminated onto other surfaces after preparing these burgers or other beef foods if the prions can only be killed by extreme temperatures.

In the same way how are they not on the pavements outside of restaurants as rainwater would not kill them. We still have the same carpets down as 15 years ago during the beef entering the food chain and the sane freezer they were stored in so how can these things not be harbouring these prions?

This problem has taken over my life because I genuinely feel people do not want to or cannot bear to think about it. I have lost my last two relationships and feel that my parents and their house where I am staying ATM is contaminated because of these prions and the fact we ate beef during the epidemic. I am a really normal guy in most ways and love life but I can't touch anything or eat or drink because I can't put anything to my mouth because this house is so contaminated in my mind with these prions and I can't see how during cooking/washing up the prions can't have been splashed on the floor and walked through the carpet contaminating it and also the pavement outside so it's really hard for mr to get out because I don't want to walk it from the carpet to outside.

I know this sounds really extreme but if these prions are so super resistant how can they not have survived on surfaces here. Also my parents are old and as much as I live him they are not the cleanest of people with dirty items all around me causing stress. Im even frightened to brush my teeth or go to the toilet incase it spreads prions from me to them in blood or fluids. I can't take anti depressants because the box is here and must of become contaminated so I can't get any space I just want to get out the house and live normally.

Please help I'm really stuck

Re: Vcjd fear please help

Sorry to bump this and I don't want to sounds crazy but I'm really desperate If anyone can help. Thanks guys!

Hi,

I can tell from your post that this is having a really negative effect on you. I can also tell that you have done a fair bit of internet research...which is not healthy. I understand your fear is real and overwhelming about Vcjd, however, if you are at risk of getting it then we all are. I have eaten countless sausages, burgers etc as a child. Vcjd is a really rare disease. You have to stop researching it...you're feeding your own fear.

As for your house being contaminated...extremely unlikely!! All houses are contaminated with a range of bacteria, however, in a sense we need this bacteria to develop our immune system.

Not eating will make you feel even worse...trust me, I'm talking from experience. Try and have a little something to eat.

I really do think you need to go and see your doctor about this- you need to talk to someone. Also, anti-depressants come in a blister pack as well as a box so they are quite safe.

Hugs

Thanks pan, I feel that because we have the same carpet as during the epidemic and freezer it makes the fear worse because these prions are tough and unlike bacteria can live for a long long time under extreme circumstances.

I've just done some research for you. Yes these prions are difficult to kill- incineration and high pressure steam cleaning were mentioned. It also said that soaking in household bleach destroys it. However, the article also says that the prion can live up to a year, sometimes slightly more, but there is nothing to suggest that it can live for any longer than that. Your carpets are fine. The house is fine. It is safe to eat. Don't worry- I know this is easier said than done.

Hopefully I have put your mind at rest a bit?

I really do think you need to go to a doctor and share your concerns- I'm sure they will be able to help you. Don't suffer in silence xx

Thanks for that it really helps to have facts to disprove my fear. I also worry about my blood and dropletts of it in my saliva being touch on surfaces by other people and because the incibation period for cjd is so long there's no way of knowing if we have it until in kicks in which could be upto 30 years.

Which is why I suppose it is the perfect fear...no way of knowing that you have it. We could be run over by a bus tomorrow! I suppose you can't spend your life worrying about what may happen!! Although. I'm the worst culprit!

You don't want to look back in 20 years time and regret all of the days that you wasted while consumed with fear.

Mental illness, as it is referred to, is as real as a broken leg and requires treatment. Have you been to the doctors to ask for help? I felt relieved when I finally did...she was very supportive and said that it was a positive step that I asked for help xx

I have and was given 1 hr per week cbt. This became impossible because of getting out of the house. I really feel at the moment living here is bad for me because if feels so contaminated I cannot get any space to begin to fight it whereas in a cleaner house I could have that headspace and not be surrounded by old carpets and freezers. The only other treatment available was to go to a and e which I did but they couldn't help any more than to say I have to take my meds which is easier said that done when I feel like this house has contaminated the box and blister pack once I touch them. I asked to be sectioned so that I could stay in an environment where I can feel safe and also get treatment bit they wouldn't. I'm just frightened because I won't eat or drink here and can't get out because it would mean having to come bk.

I really appreciate ur help!

What medication do you have if you don't mind me asking? I promise you, you aren't going to catch anything off the blister pack or the box. Moving or being somewhere else is not the answer- nowhere is completely sterile, not even hospitals!! I can see that this fear has really taken a hold of you. If you moved, the fear would come back, unless you are going to spend a fortune putting new carpets in all the time and buying new kitchen equipment.

These organisms that you are scared of cannot live as long as you think...therefore it is impossible for them to have contaminated your pill packets or anything else for that matter. If you have been prescribed medication, it is because your doctor thinks that you need it. Lots of people here take medication. I really think they will help you.

Is there anything that you can do to distract yourself? This morning I was having a really bad morning, so I put my ipod on loud and did some housework...it kind of helped being distracted.

Do you have any friends that you can talk to? xx

It's just if the prions can live fir a year I can't see how they wouldn't be on my blister packs mate. I'm on sertraline 50mg and I do get what u say about new carpets having to be laid every time. It's hard for me to move here because of the fear so I'm pretty much stuck in bed but I have my iPod!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information