Thread: Citalopram side effects

Talking Citalopram side effects

Hi have been on citalopram before in the past and been back on it for nearly 4 weeks. I'm finding I'm waking up at 1.30 am everynight and finding it takes me over an hour to drift back off again. My mood has become more positive and am bow starting to feel the benefits but this sleep thing is really starting to bug me. Also I have found that it dilates my pupils. Like saucers lol Looks like I've been doing hard drugs lol. Anyone else had these problems?

Re: Citalopram side effects

I'm on 20 mg of citalapram. Sleeping is a big issue for me.DR pescribed some temp sleeping tablets.

Sleep issues are common when you first start on this ..If you dont want to take Sleeping pills like Zopiclone ,try some alternatives like ,Calms Nightime ,Valerian or Night nurse tabs ..The N/N causes drowsiness because they are antihistamines .Take half the recommended dose of all fist as it can have an increased effect with cit .It will all pass after about a month .and you will sleep like a baby .T/c Sue

Count yourself lucky Jovi..when I was on Citalopram I was hallucinating demons, I kid you not! I've always suffered from sleep paralysis but as soon as I started on Citalopram it went haywire. As soon as I fell asleep I would be surrounded by demonic figures whispering the most awful things in my ear. I honestly thought I was going mad until I had the good sense to speak to my GP. He put me back on mirtazapine and normality (or what passes for it) was resumed...But don't mind me, I've never known anyone else respond badly to it so I don't know why it turned me into such a gibbering wreck

Hi Jovi,

I had problems with sleeping for many many weeks after starting citalopram last June, nothing too major, but like you found getting back to sleep difficult and really tired in the morning.

I've no problems sleeping now, still on 20mg cit, still tired in mornings though, but soon wears off after a cuppa. x

Thread Information