Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ooh I have been chosen !

Ooh I have been chosen !

Apparently the NHS is working on a new questionare, asking people who have had treatment with CBT "Starworkers" what they think of the treatment and how it could be improved.

Imagine my suprise when my Starworker said she wanted to whisk me a way to West Bromwich for the day to the local NHS head office to get my ideas and input on the latest questionare!

I'm bricking it now !
    I hope I don't behave like a complete fool and embarrass myself in a room full of "normal people" I don't know.

Calming thoughts ... What's the worst that is going to happen?

I'll let you know how I get on when I get back !

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx

[] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Great stuff Liz

Mould our future !

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Liz

Go for it - but make sure you get loads of freebies - lunch, taxi fares etc.

Good luck!

Nicola

Oh man it was awesome!

I was so scared. I think I must have shook for hours before hand.
    But once I got there everyone was so nice and friendly.
    I was worried about being in the land of the living again, but I need not have been, as there were 3 of us in the meeting with Panic Disorder, so I wasn't alone.

[8D]I got tea and biccies, and even got paid £5 an hour wages!

Apparently "Starworkers" are the new mental health way forward.
    The idea is that they go out in to the community and offer active support, such as helping people to leave their house.
    There are plans to recruit even more, from clients themselves by 2008. The only qualification you need is life experience.
    Karen even suggested that I should become one myself! [:I]
    So I was told, eventually there will be starworkers in every NHS service in britain. So there is a chance everyone can access the service. Which I thought was fantastic!

I got home just in time for parents evening. - both kids trying hard and making improvements. So I was happy about that.

Then it hit me ! Oh my god I spoke in a room full people! I hope I didn't sound like an idiot. I did it! I did it! followed by several minutes of the happy dance. I felt as high as a kite on self esteem and pride. It took me 6 hours to calm down.
    Why which time I was exhausted.[xx(]

But, it went well, and Karen says that if there are any more input meetings going on she's going to put my name down again.

So I must have done a good job

Thanks everyone for helping to make me well enough to join the land of the living if only for a few hours. I was magic !

Liz xxx

Liz,

That is great!! I'm soo glad you enjoyed it and got paid for the experience too!

Any idea whether you may become a starworker??

Lucky

Hi Liz,

Im so pleased for you that you managed to go and actually enjoy the experience. You truly have made so much progress over these last few months. You deserved to do the 'happy dance'. Keep us posted on your next visit.

sadie

The finished questionare arrived this morning. (beams with pride) Once the other members of the meeting have given it the all clear, then it will be distributed to the public, so I may have to fill one in myself as a service user!

Some of the aspects of the job sound great.
    It is something I am giving great consideration to.
    What do you think ? Could I do it ?

I'm a drawy, charty, fiddly kind of person who uses a lot of pictures to get her point across. When I can't use words to describe how I feel I often draw of picture. I was told to think calming thoughts, so I drew a picture of me beating up Mr Panic with a large flower. (which my CPN found hysterical!) So using these pictures to help others express themselves sounds great. I've even done one for my starworker so she can use it to help explain herself to other people.
    The fact all you need is life experience of panic and how you yourself cope, is a plus, so it is not like I will have to study for years to get a degree or anything. (You guys and My CPN have taught me all my coping skills, so you are all more than qualified to become starworkers.)

I'm breaking the little steps golden rule. I'm worried about things that really should not be even thought about, at this stage. I'm trying to run a marathon when I've only just learned to shuffle on my bum. - After all I may decide not to become a Starworker, but all the same I am worried about it.

Things like How will I deal with people? How will I travel from place to place as I don't drive? Am I good enough to do the job?
    What if I make a mess of it?

I am seriously thinking about it, one day when I am well enough.
    The question is - will I be good enough?

Liz xxx

Liz,

of all the people in the forum your story certainly sticks with me! Look how far you've come, you not only are getting better and stronger everyday but give other encouragement, nice kind wors if that's all thats needed or good practical advice. OF COURSE your good enough. The fact that you can draw things to explain certain things if you can't find the words is yet another benefit.

Whatever you decide you can do anything you put your mind too. IF you don't want to do it just now and need more time for you that's cool, but if u aren't doing it because u are afraid you aren't good enough. YOU ARE SO WRONG. I'm sure all the others will tell u the same!!!!

Good Luck whatever you decide and keep us up to date with the latest

Love
    Lucky

'There are plans to recruit even more, from clients themselves by 2008. The only qualification you need is life experience.'

How could you not be good enough, Liz ?? I think you are overqualified !

Do stick to your little steps for now. 2008 is a long way off yet . Gives you time to get better properly without rushing and having extra pressures.
    Perhaps sooner you might feel up to speaking to fellow sufferers on a phone and doing remote work but if someone sounded paniky now , it might just bring it many memories flooding back with a bump and we don't want that.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Apart of me does wonder if I am good enough.

If people constantly tell you how useless you are, or how stupid you are, or how selfish you are. Even though it may not be true, if people tell you it enough times, you start to believe it yourself. - I am unfortunately one of those people who have lived on "under praise" (if that is the right word.)So I guess it is only fair for me to doubt myself.

Having Mr Panic as my long term friend has taught me 2 things.

You may feel stupid, useless, silly and hopeless, and people may tell you so, but it is not true.
    If you gain enough confidence in yourself to get up and get dressed. Then you are not totally useless, and anything else is a bonus.

The other thing is has taught me is praise yourself. If no one gives you a round of applause for washing the dishes, cleaning the floor and walking the dog, then give yourself one.
    If you've been brave enough to face a shopping trip then get yourself something like a cake or a cookie as a special treat. It tastes so much nicer when you bought it yourself and you can say I'm going to enjoy this because I GOT THIS. I DID THIS.

I think remote assistance by phone, e-mail and of course forum, sounds a nice little step to work on.
    Before I jump in with both feet, I'll gain practice first.

Thanks to everyone who helped to make me well again.

Liz xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information