Thread: Agoraphobic / emetophobic

Agoraphobic / emetophobic

Hi

I am currently struggling with agoraphobia. At the moment, I can go for a short walk on my own about five minutes from my house and I am ok going out to familiar places with my partner in the car (like home, I see the car as a safe place and a way of getting home quick if need be), but I can't go any further than this without triggering a panic attack. I did manage to go to Homebase with my mum yesterday which is about a ten minute walk, so I guess I am making a little progress. Once I was in the store though I felt like everything was too bright and loud and it made my head spin. I find this all very frustrating. I wish I could just go anywhere like I used to without batting an eyelid!

I am also emetophobic. This doesn't really have a great impact on my life now as my partner has stopped drinking, mainly for my benefit. He never used to drink much (a few pints was his limit), but the moment he took the first sip I would start worrying it would make him sick. I am terrified of ill people. I recently got a tummy bug from my niece (I wasn't sick thankfully) and now when she comes over I don't want her near me, which makes me feel terrible. I also work in a GP surgery, which doesn't help matters!

I just thought I would share my experience with everyone.

Laura x

Re: Agoraphobic / emetophobic

Hey Hun, I couldnt read this and not post. First of all, I think your amazing for working in a doctors office with emetophobia! im emetophobic and could even dream of it!

have you seen a therapist or do you take any medication? i was agoraphobic from the age of 14-18 and still suffer in certain situations (eg long car rides or bus rides cos im scared of feeling sick). the only thing i can say from my experience is that my agoraphobia is 1000 times better than it was, im 25 now. so there is definately hope for you! can i ask how old you are? ive found with age my anxieties have started to reduce x

Hi i'm 19 from Nottingham and developed agoraphobia in Dec 09. I feel i'm getting better but i'm nowhere near the point i want to be back at. I'm willing to share my experiences, the methods i've used, and any other general chit chat would be great! (Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place i'm new!)

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchieBiscuit View Post
    Hey Hun, I couldnt read this and not post. First of all, I think your amazing for working in a doctors office with emetophobia! im emetophobic and could even dream of it!

have you seen a therapist or do you take any medication? i was agoraphobic from the age of 14-18 and still suffer in certain situations (eg long car rides or bus rides cos im scared of feeling sick). the only thing i can say from my experience is that my agoraphobia is 1000 times better than it was, im 25 now. so there is definately hope for you! can i ask how old you are? ive found with age my anxieties have started to reduce x
    Thank you Luckily I work upstairs in the GP surgery so I'm away from the patients and their germs most of the time. I only walk through the reception a couple of times a day and use alcohol hand gel straight afterwards!

I'm about to start seeing a psychologist to help with my panic attacks / agoraphobia. I'm 27 now and have had therapy before so hopefully it will help a second time. I'm not entirely sure why I have slipped back again after the sessions I had seven years ago. It just seems to be a cycle I go through

Thread Information