Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I was doing well and then THIS happens!

Re: I was doing well and then THIS happens!

Is that right about the pelvic floor exercises? Are you definitely supposed to let go when it feels uncomfortable rather than struggle to keep holding on for longer? That's interesting.

Yep, definitely true. Told by the uro to NEVER force it! The reason is simply because the muscles get tired. If muscles are tired they don't work as well Your pelvic floor shouldn't tremble when you lift it or ache during/after exercises - this means that you're holding it too long.

Also, did you know that some doctors think women who haven\t had children should be able to hold for 40 seconds?! I can't imagine anyone being able to do that!!!

40 seconds???!!! Well I've never had children and I struggle to hold it for 10 seconds! Well that's me doomed to a life of rubbish sex and a big old bucket fanny then...

Haha! Well I have only recently been able to hold for 10 seconds after quite a lot of practice and I am assured I do not have a "bucket fanny" (Although sex isn't as good :( )

The urologist said that she had never met anyone who could do 40 and she thought it was a bit of ridiculous aim but that 10 was good for any woman. I'm going to aim for 20, though, since I've not had kids and I'm having problems now - hoping to protect myself when I finally want to start sprogging!

However, does anyone know if I can definitely get back to normal with these exercises? Sex isn't as good as it used to be now that I've slackened off a bit so I'm starting to find it slightly boring. This change isn't permanent is it?! I've been telling myself the exercises will bring it back but I'm worried that I haven't noticed much diference! I'm being silly aren't I? I can probably go back to just the way I was? My pelvic floor isn't so weak that I pee when I laugh/sneeze etc, so they can't be THAT weak, so does that mean I can probably get back to normal?

(I'm incapable of not worrying about everything!!!)
    Last edited by harasgenster; 23-03-11 at 11:40.

Well now you've got me thinking about it! I can tense those muscles easily for about 5 seconds but between 6 and 10 seconds it gets kind of difficult and I feel the urge to let go. If I have a wee and try to stop mid flow it's REALLY difficult. Sometimes I can stop the flow and at other times I can't. I thought I had reasonably OK pelvic floor muscles as I've never had any issues as such but now you've all got me wondering!

I have just looked on the NHS website and it doesn't say how long you should squeeze for. I certainly don't have any issues with sensitivity down there so I'm not sure whether I should be worried about it now? Are you also supposed to practice squeezing when you're having a wee, or just at other random times? You've got me thinking about it now, lol!

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1063.asp...CategoryID=146
    Last edited by shoegal; 23-03-11 at 15:15.

Oh don't worry about it! If you have no issues then everything's ok. Only strengthen if you want to or if you're worried about it.

And no, you shouldn't stop wee mid flow. This is a good exercise to make sure you're using the right muscles but it actually makes them weaker if you do it often (don't ask why, haven't got a clue!) I asked my urologist loads of questions on this when I was last there!

To make sure you're squeezing the right muscles, you should insert two fingers then squeeze at the back (as if you're trying not to fart) then squeeze at the front (as if you're trying not to wee). The muscles in your vagina should grip your fingers and pull up. The moment you feel it loosen against your fingers or begin to tremble, let go. The urologist said it doesn't matter how long you can hold it. Some people can only do two seconds. You just keep doing it and it gets stronger. The amount of time you can hold it just tells you how much stamina you've got, not exactly how strong they are.

By the way, it also doesn't work just to do those kind! You have to do ten quick ones, without holding, then ten holding for as long as you can then resting for as long as you held in between. The urologist said to do these five times a day but I have no idea who has the time or memory for that! I try to remember to do them at least once.

Pilates eh? I might try that...At risk of TMI - I just want my fanny back!

They might give different information to people specifically trying to combat bladder issues as the advice on the NHS webpage doesn't specify how long or how many times to squeeze. Confusing isn't it?!!

Quote Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
    They might give different information to people specifically trying to combat bladder issues as the advice on the NHS webpage doesn't specify how long or how many times to squeeze. Confusing isn't it?!!
    Yup. Everywhere I look there's different information! That's why I made such a point of grilling the urologist!

I guess it can't matter that much, though. Anything you do must be making them stronger, and some people just don't need to anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    "Pilates eh? I might try that...At risk of TMI - I just want my fanny back! "

Give it a go, Harasgenster. Let's put it this way, they have to use the 'virgin's speculum' when I have a smear test these days
    I might, actually. I've been getting annoyed recently that sex doesn't feel like it used to. I know I'm still not big, but you get used to it feeling a certain way and if it doesn't feel that way it's just kind of boring. This might be my way back to how it used to be!

Cheers

Harasgenster, you say sex doesn't feel like it used to but could that be because you have told us you are anxious about your 'issue' and perhaps it's a mental block stopping you from relaxing and enjoying sex as much. Also anti-depressants can dull the sensations of sex and make it more difficult to reach orgasm although I can't remember whether you are taking meds or not. It might be worth trying new positions as I believe (*cough*) there are some which make the vagina feel tighter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information