Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Story

My Story

I find it hard to put it all into words so bare with me on this.

Im not bitter about my life & what has happened in it but i maintain what i have gone through is down to my father. I have slowly been building bridges with him over the last two year, previous to that i had'nt spoken to him in two years.

From 11 years old i have suffered with panic attacks on & off some bad some not so.
    As far back as i can remember like a few people have said on here with parents or a parent who belittles their child that happened to me. I was regularly told i was stupid etc & again as others have said if i got something right in school then it was just a fluke, i never got any praise for any reports either. Luckly though i do have a wonderful mum & that helped & has helped so much.
    He also had a big problem with drink when i was growing up & myself & others would say he is an alcoholic, i would sit there in fear of what kind of a state he would come home from the pub in, he would regularly start arguments so he could have an excuse to go to the pub again, he would also when talking to mum & i come right up close to our faces it put the fear of hell in me. (i now cannot stand someone to get close to me when they have had a few drinks the stench on the breath makes me feel so sick)
    In my life time i have been pushed up against a door by him, he has held me by my ankles over a balcony & ive had a knife put to my ribs (two of those incidents was when he was under the influence of drink)

At 27 i finally went to my doctor as after 3 years of starting work in a call centre & life at home being unbearable (my mum by then was helping to look after my then baby neice in London) i got signed off with depression, i had felt down for a while but tried to carry on the best i could but had to admit to myself i was just very tired of everything that had gone on work wise & home wise.
    It was in this period that i decided to take an overdose then i realised what i had done & became frightened, i told my mum what i had done & she of course immediatly rang for an ambulance, i had an over nights stay in the emergency ward that monitored me every hour, next day i was told id taken about 200mg (i was told i had given it a damn good go) I swear now i will never ever put my family & close friends through that ever again, in the cold light of day i realised how selfish i was to do that & all the upset & distress it would have caused if anything had happened. (Please note in a million years i never thought i would do anything like suicide, i really scared myself that day).

After having the time out things started to look & feel better but in early 2003 my wonderful aunty had a massive asthma attack & died all very sudden, a few months later my lovely Uncle died from terminal cancer. However there was light there as in late April of that year i met my future husband Chris who has been so supportive, very kind & means the world to me.

I tried getting back into the swing of the call centre but had lost my confidence with it so asked for a transfer to the admin dept which is in another area of Bristol. It was there again i was to meet a bully of a supervisor that no matter what i did nothing seemed good enough again i tried & tried but i just was'nt strong enough to take stuff like that anymore i had already been physically drained enough. I went to my boss & told him what was happening but he didint seem to want to understand & seemed to try & brush things under the carpet, i then went to his boss who i had worked with previously in the call centre, by then though it was to late though i was so low i just used to cry buckets at lunch time on the phone to Chris who was very upset & worried about me & angry that nothing was being done to help. Again i went back to my doc who once again signed me off & that is where i had been in limbo since as the depression & anxiety went into agoraphobia in late 2004. Work had been willing to keep my job open for me & get me into a different office from this supervisor but i just couldnt get my head round any of i

dear Alex,i will text u any way,but i know how important it is to get replies when you have opened your heart.I am glad you have told your story,as you have kept this to yourself,whilst being very supportive to others on the forum[me included]i know it is sometimes easier to help others than recieve help.I t can make you feel vunerable.I too was 11 when i had my 1st panic attack[spooky !!]and had a drinker for a parent[hey one day mayb i'll spill the beans too!!]so i can empathise with you totally.You have been very brave today so you chill and rest and KNOW that we are here for you dearest alex.love Mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

Alex,

I think it has been very brave of you to tell your story. My husband lived with an abusive drinker father and unlike your mother, his mother also became a drinker and joined him. He had no support at all! His childhood did not contain any love. His poor sister cannot still hug anybody not even her own brother! The abuse that can go on from parents who abuse alcohol is appalling! I am so glad you are still here! You are such a strong person to have gotten help and to be able to help others. I am sure with the support of your husband and the steps you have taken you will overcome this and be able to go out again. To me, you have been very brave.

Bel

Thanks Mary & Bel

Really appreciate your words of support.

Mary, Thankyou for being there & im glad to have been of support to you.

Bel, Im so sorry to hear your husband went through the same with his parents, at least he has you now & you are there for each other.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Hello Alex

You have been so friendly and supportive to me since I joined and I just wanted to say that you are very brave for putting your story down in words. Perhaps it will even feel therapeutic for you after the drained feeling wears off. I know that sometimes when I put thoughts into words it makes it all seem clearer in my mind.
    I am sure that you will get through this with the help of Chris who from what you say is a totally devoted partner.

Hugs

Spice
    xxx

Thanks Spice

Yes i think that writing it all down like this has help alot. I also feel better for having done this as well.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

As a child that must of been very frightening,and i can fully understand the way you feel and why? poor you...
    My ex- was extremley violent especially under the infulence of drink..infact he was a physco and tried drowning me,strangling me and all sorts of horror storys.. this is part of the reason im caught up in my anxiety and depression..i so understand how you must be feeling.. i also am riddled with guilt as my 12 year old daughter saw the last time he hurt me..he badley beat me up in frount of her ,she was so scared and told me exactley how she felt.. she ran to the nieghbours ,they rang the poilce and he did time in prison...
    my whole story from beginning to end is awful and i feel so useless and worthless because of it all, i know exactley how you fee..im worried about my daughter ... really expecially as she is a constant little worrier...its all my fault..

I am so sorry for the bad times that you have had to go through alex...i hope my daughter doesnt grow up and feel the same way as you do alex, because she could couldnt she after what she witnessed..

Im sure the sun will shine from now on...especially with your lovley surportive partner there by yourside.

ashley

Hi Alex

Just read your message.

Your openness will give inspiration to all others who can identify with you.

It is good to get all the past out and the time must have been right for you to do so.

I dont know you personally but I do know that you have a great strength and ability to say the right words to others suffering and your words of wisdom that you have spoken on this website will have helped many others.

What happens in our past has a huge impact on how we live our life and you can hold your head up high and look at the kind and caring person you have become. Your fiance Chris is a very lucky man.

I wish you both well for your future together and remember you have inner strength and courage.

Take care

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Thanks Ashley & Dark

Im so sorry to hear what you & your daughter went through Ash. Its certainly something that none of us should have to go through. Hugs to your & your daughter Ash (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Dark, Thanks for your good wishes to Chris & i we really appreciate it.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Hi Alex,

I'm glad you've felt able to put everything into words. Sometimes it can be very helpful to 'open up'. You have been through such a lot, both at home and work and you show real kindness and support to others on these boards. Its wonderful that you have found such a lovely partner and have your wedding to look forward to and you obviously possess great personal strength.

You have been very kind to me since I started visiting this site and I would just like to say thank you.

Take care

Coni X

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information