Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mirtazapine - side effects

Re: Mirtazapine - side effects

Hi Belle,

I must say I didnt notice any increase in appetite with the pregabalin...for me it has turned my life around...I have suffered on and off with general anxiety which sometimes has turned into depression for around 13 years now on and off srri's over the years. Pregabalin has been the most sucessful drug I have taken and seems to keep the general anxiety at bay...I do have blips (but dont we all) but all in all not as bad as previous to taking it.

Have a chat with your GP and see what he says.

I do wish you well hun and if I can help you in anyway please ask.

TC
    JO.x

Thanks for that Jo. Did it take time to get used to the Pregabalin or was it immediately effective against the anxiety?
    Belle x

Hi Belle,

It is a bit like the benzos in that it starts to work pretty quickly...I did start on a very low dose and built it up under the supervision of my GP. I now take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night with my 7.5mg of mirtazipine (I did go up to 150mg in the morning a while ago when I went through a "blip" but dropped back down when I felt better). I think I have the correct combination at this moment in time and intend to stay on this for the forseeable future, obviously I have alot of scope especially with the pregabalin as you can take up to 600mg I think.

In terms of side effects I just felt a bit spaced out for a few days when I started them...I sometimes have the odd morning now that I feel a "bit" spaced I think this is usually when I dont feel well anyway and perhaps havent slept very well.

Pregabalin did change my life.... and Belle its all down to this forum as someone on here told me about it and it was me that spoke to my GP about it. So I am so thankful for that. Some GP's wont prescribe it as it is very expensive, my GP is thankfully not one of them.

Let me know how you get on and what you decide to do.

Awful what we have to suffer with this anxeity.

TC
    Jo.x

Thank you for that very helpful and informative reply Jo. Good to know that it starts working relatively quickly.

One issue I'm a little anxious about (probably foolishly) regarding this med is the withdrawal aspect. As it works similarly to the benzos I'm wondering if it might be a bit scary to come off when the time comes. It's such a relatively new drug that there doesn't seem to be much info out there regarding this.

My GP did suggest it at one point, so fingers crossed if I decide to try it the expense issue won't be a problem.

Thanks again.
    Belle x

dear all i am a new user and want to say thanx from my heart for all you fellow suffereres sharing your stories - its day 15 on 30mg mirt straight swap from 40mg cit which had ceased to be effective after 3 years
    i feel generally an increase in well being but today was like zonko down to zero on both the anxiety and depression - however having just eaten my tea i am improved - is this what they mean by low blood sugar syndrome - how can having an empty stomach cause anx/ dep
    I see my doc next week and do not feel at all fit to go back to work , but having had 5 months already off this year ( in 2 speparate "attacks") i worry about my financial situation since i go down to half pay after 6 months - but what matters most - getting my health back or money in the bank - for what - stuff i probably didn't need in the first place

i also get back into therapy again on tuesday - and this time i want them to tell me whats wrong - not me give them the list !! does this ring a bell with anyone
    anyway sorry for rambling but it just feels so good to share

i'm also interested in preglabin - what is it and what does it do- my doctor has not told me to come off my twice daily does of propropanol 40mg night / day but i'm wondering if its a good fit with mirt ?
    a special message to jt69
    you are a true inspiration and are quite single handedly responsible for me feeling there is a way through all this mire and i wish i could meet you in person and shake you by the hand , thankyou all and any advice / tips would be great - ps I am 55 senior lecturer at a University going through hell with redundancies and have 2 sons at home 23 and 18 - plus hubby all worried about me workaholic , perfectionist etc etc etcxx

Hi bugrud,

I have sent you a PM thanks for your kind comments.

It does get easier, it just never feels like that when you are going through it.

The mirtazipine does increase appetite and even after a huge meal I can remember when I first started taking it I would still feel hunger especially for sweet things...this does pass though. I also was very irritable and my poor hubby went through hell tip toeing around me...this too passed.

I hope you feel the benefits I did and get your life back on track as without the support of the people on here I dont think I would of done it.

Take care
    Jo.x

hiya crumble

yes i feel for you its so c**p isn't it - today i asked myself is this the best its ever gonna get - a bit good one day , back to "flatlining " as i call it the next - i.e. as my sister coined it - the doldrums - neither feeling happy about anything - but just avoiding dipping below that line into the great black hole of depression
    I too am on mirt after a fairly succesful period of citalopram - but it just seemed to stop - so doctor prescribed mirt
    apart from sleeping and just sometimes feeling on the other side of dpression i just feel really flat - its day 16 so thats why i started asking myself is this the best its ever gonna get

or should we just give it more time ?

please can any one help us

Dear Bugrud have you ever seen a psychiatrist? It might help as he might be able to suggest something that will lift your mood? I have found that although my GP has been very supportive she was reluctant to up my meds when I was having a blip. I am currently stable. I take 45mg mirtazapine and 1,000mg lithium. I have seen my psychiatrist once this year after my Father died in April. It is very normal to feel flat and low when suffering/recovering from depression. I'm not sure what to suggest but we all have our own hobbies/activites that might get you moving again? I do sympathise but sometimes you just have to get moving. Anything physical is good such as walking. I prefer swimming and singing. Even a good session in the kitchen might be enough to lift your mood!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information